Saturday, June 26, 2010

Running Somewhere Else: Madison, Wisconsin

I spent the past week in the car with my hubs driving all around the Midwest.  We went on a recon mission to our future town to get a sense of the lay of the land, find housing, scope out the university that has employeed me for next year (ah, I so wish it were tenure-track, but I'm still so grateful to have a Visiting Asst. Professor positions in this shitastic market and economy!), and open up bank accounts, as neither of our current instituions have branches anywhere in the vicinity.  We combined this trip with a trip to Madison because M. was presenting at a conference that was held there.

I'm not always the best at being able to fit in training while I'm traveling, so I just aimed to fit in two 3 mile runs during this trip.  I got one in earlier in the week and the other in while we were in Madison.  The weather was nice (not too hot and not too humid) and I was able to enjoy a little 3 mile run on the path that loops around the lake.  It really helped that our hotel was two blocks away from the dock and the running path.


The path was nice and shady, too.


Do you have difficulty fitting in training or exercise when you're traveling?  What tricks do you have to keep yourself on track while you're on the road? 

8 comments:

  1. I just came to this blog via your plug on Fashionable Academics. I'm really excited that this blog will be about health and fitness!

    Having not run outside since sixth grade track, I decided to start again this summer. I just moved to a new city in the southwest and this fall will be starting at a new university in New York. So, I have a question for you that kind of goes along with the question you asked in this entry (maybe some fellow commenters can help me out!):

    how do you find good places to run when you're in a new location?

    ReplyDelete
  2. lorax, I've had really good success at finding routes in places via online sites for runners, such as mapmyrun and daily mile. I've also been known to google key terms (name of place, running route, scenic) to see what will come up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Madison is beautiful!! It is a great place to run, exercise, and enjoy life. Ok..so I miss my home state of WI just a little.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The lake path is beautiful, isn't it? Joe and I are actually in Madison right now doing a bit of recon ourselves!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a lovely town, and I definitely can understand why people take their time in getting their grad degrees there.

    @Clare, I'm curious to know more about your recon mission.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe we'll actually get to meet! :) My sister goes to school there, and I'm definitely hoping to make it there to see Wicked in the fall (probably other times, too). Looks like a beautiful area to run! I loved my last weekend there...gorgeous views and delicious food.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @caffeinerd, I'm several hours from Madison, but I would love to meet up sometime. Maybe I'll plan a trip to Chi-town and we can meet up there sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, I see. Sorry, poor reading on my part. I'll be in Milwaukee, so if that's closer---yay! But yes, I can always travel to Chicagoland.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.