Tuesday, August 10, 2010

August Writing Goals: Week 1 Report


So my writing goals for the month of August were essentially these:

*Edit a friend's chapter by August 5th ✔
* Write a book review for an academic journal in my field
* Syllabi and Lectures
* Manuscript transcription edits
* Send four cards or letters

Last week I finished editing my friend's chapter so I can successfully cross that off the to-do list, and I've got my syllabi mostly under control.  I still need to copy and paste the appropriate verbiage onto them about academic misconduct and the like, but I have readings, schedule of lectures and discussions, and assignments figured out.  I also mailed three cards yesterday, so I'm well on my way toward meeting my non-academic writing goal for the month.

I'm still lagging behind schedule on the book review, the lectures, and the manuscript edits.  I wanted to get a lot of work done yesterday, but between my friendly (and chatty) neighbor and the necessity of running multiple errands (faxing documents, post office, bank, university administration, registering the car here, and the failed attempt to get a new driver's license - the test taking office closed just minutes before we arrived) took out such a large chunk of my day that it was dinner time before I knew it.  And I have more errands and a new faculty orientation to attend this week still, so fitting in work is starting to feel like a tetris game.  These aren't excuses, but they are pain-in-the-ass reasons for not being where I'd like with my goals right now.

What's one goal (writing or other) you have for the month of August?  How are you going about achieving it?

2 comments:

  1. I have a book review (my first!) due on Sept 1. That will fill the next several weekends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I am always and constantly thinking I can do more than I ever think that they will. But my goals are to get my teaching portfolio in gear and to start working on dissertation chapter 4. (Chapter 3 went to my advisor yesterday, so that is fabulous.)

    Hope it is okay that I popped over here rather than heading to the fashion blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.