Sunday, November 28, 2010

Weekly +/- XIX

In the - column this week:

- Once this break began I realized just how truly exhausted I was.  I have slept in far more than I intended or wanted.  I enjoy a lie-in now and again, but I'm starting to feel like a layabout.  And somehow I don't really feel as rested as all that extra sleep would seem to warrant.  Weird.

- The laziness has extended into my working out and training.  I only ran twice and only went to the gym once this past week.

- I have yet another stack of papers to grade.  I had planned to start grading again on Friday after two days off, but then I decided to take another two days off.  Even professors procrastinate.

In the + column this week:

+ A friend of ours from grad school who lives just up the road invited us to Thanksgiving Dinner at his home.  We joined him, his significant other, and his parents and sister for several hours of eating and conversation on Thursday afternoon.  The food was absolutely delicious.

+ Earlier this week I received some unexpected good news.  I found out that I was getting a slight raise because I completed my PhD over the summer (after my contract had been negotiated).  It will be applied retroactively to my pay since the start of the academic year.  Huzzah!

+ Yesterday M. and I spent a leisurely day together.  We ate breakfast on the couch, took Bailey to the dog park, picked out and decorated our Christmas tree, watched football, and drank some Bell's Christmas Ale.  It was the perfect way to end my break.

+ My Sooners won a very exciting Bedlam game.  It was a bit closer than I would have liked for the sake of my nerves, but I was delighted with the outcome.


How has your week been?  I hope all of you American readers had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

15 comments:

  1. At least you got this break so you could rest up before you totally burnt yourself out! Sounds like a pretty good week to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats on the pay raise.

    I wish I could have slept in. The latest I slept was 7am, and that was today. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had one of those weird lazy/no energy times about two weeks ago, lasted till about this past weekend. Just let it run it's course (pun intended) and you'll be back to normal soon. This is the busy season for us professors, we start final crits Tuesday! Yikes... Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for $$$! Sounds like y'all had a nice Thanksgiving, I'm glad. I just got new running shoes, hopefully I'll get back on a good running schedule after a summer of hiking. It's always impressive how you fit so much into your schedule!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A pay raise in this economy? Many congrats, Dr!!

    I love your Xmas tress pic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like you've had a busy week! Glad you got to catch up on your sleep, we all need to be lazy sometimes :)

    And yay about the raise!

    Leia

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your Christmas tree! We will put ours up next weekend:)

    I have also been super tired lately. I have not been running a ton. I think that I really needed a break....maybe you do too.

    Congrats on the raise! Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great news on your pay raise! You can use it for more caffeinated drinks to help get you up in the morning.:) I love your tree! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on the pay raise! My school's stipends are going up next year and I am already looking forward to it/ mentally slotting aside this future money for purchases at Anthropologie. I hope you're able to catch up on things- I know that a large percentage of my professors were just as bad of procrastinators as I was-fortunately you have more leeway on some things as a prof.

    I went away for close to a week for Thanksgiving this year, and it was glorious, but I'm feeling the pressure now, since I didn't get done the work that I thought (and fortunately my PI didn't think) I would get done, plus I'm moving in about week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Also, that's a super adorable picture with the tree!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on your raise! That is awesome. Also, I love the fact that you called a nap a lie-in :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. О! Lo que es un buen puesto. Me encanta la lectura de estos tipos o artículos. Puedo? Esperar a ver lo que otros tienen que decir.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Acabo de añadir el feed a mis favoritos. Me gusta mucho leer sus mensajes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.