Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Some Changes

In an effort to streamline some things, I've made a few changes to the blog and to life in general.  After more than a year and a half at another blog, I've said goodbye to that corner of the internet.  I'm feeling a little bit blue about it, but I know that it was the right thing to do.  I changed my blogging name to "Raquelita" a diminutive form of my name and one that has significantly more personal meaning than my old moniker  For now I've also decided to get rid of twitter.  I might start a new account here in a month or so, but sometimes I feel too connected to the virtual world and as though I'm just moving through the real one.  I want to live more in the moment than I sometimes do.  I want to savor my food instead of mindlessly chewing it while I type.  I want to have more meaningful conversations with friends in person and on the phone (or skype) instead of hastily exchanged emails.
I stayed with old friends this past weekend, and I'm also feeling a little bit lonesome and homesick for people and places today.   I'll post my race report tomorrow.  This evening I'm playing catch-up on a bunch of tasks that really should have been done before I left for my race.

When will we get the 27 hour day?  Have you embraced minimalism in your choices of technology and social networking?  How have you gone about doing so?

11 comments:

  1. R: No wonder you're feeling blue - you've got so many things on the go and transition can be melancholy. But you will still be able to express yourself in this environment - which is great for all of us. Personally, I LOVE Twitter. I don't have a FaceBook account (that's never appealed) so I go full on blogger (on my site) or micro blogger (on Twitter). Suits my extreme personality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still in the phase where I truly don't think I'm capable of letting go of my social media outlets like Twitter...I haven't really decided if that's a good or a bad thing yet but I still feel like I love Twitter and all those doo dads. But here here to having more intimate connections with people and more meaningful conversations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I go back and forth with the amount of time and energy I spend on the web and have made changes with blogging, twitter, etc. I finally decided to blog about what I love to do, swim (probably like you focusing on running), and twitter under my real name, engaging in news and policy debates in my field, which has its own rewards. I use Facebook less and less and rely on it more for professional networking than socializing, that helped too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Props to you for paring down when you feel the need to. Sometimes I feel way too connected, but then I also remember that it's something that really fuels me. I'm a communicator and a connector and it's just part of my personality. I could definitely use to have some more down time away from a computer screen. My biggest choice of minimalism is that I haven't yet purchased a smart phone. I want one bad, but also don't want to be tied to it all the time. We'll see what happens when my contract is up...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely get that. I was without cell service and internet for the past couple of days because I was in the mountains, and it was actually pretty cool to be off the grid, so to speak. Not only did Fella and I get a chance to just enjoy eachother's company, it was neat to be in a place where people weren't constantly texting or otherwise occupied with their phones. I think I'd be okay with unplugging from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally understand! I don't do twitter or Facebook precisely because I want to talk to people for real. The problem is I love reading strangers' running blogs :)))

    Great picture there

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't have Twitter. Never will. It all gets too much and sometimes I long for the days when the phones were attached to the wall and you always had to keep some change in your pocket for the pay-phone. Look forward to the race report!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chrissy (The New Me)April 21, 2011 at 9:41 AM

    You've inspired me to take a Twitter-break for the next four days. I have a long weekend (yay furloughs! Kind of...) and I want to make the most of it - not constantly checking my phone and laptop for updates. :)

    I will miss fashionable academics, but I know where you're coming from. I've had a few other blogs in the past but I was never able to keep them up - one is more than enough for me. I'm glad you'll still have this space to visit! Enjoy your day. <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. [Insert name of that ice cream place]! So jealous!

    But I think you know about my now annual Lenten Facebook abstinence and it does simplify my life and make me more mindful in general. I also get up from the computer when I'm done now instead of trolling Facebook until the next e-mail comes in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd love 27 hour days... Or an 8 day week. There is just not enough time in the week. I remember my mom saying that when I was a child and I would roll my eyes and think that I would never share that opinion with her. now I totally do...

    I have resisted the urge to get on Twitter because I feel like it would be a time hog... and it's not like i can pull my phone out during work or have twitter up at work... So not professional! So I have stayed away (even though I know this means I miss out on some news/updates on some blogger friends lives, etc). I have thought about getting rid of facebook, but it's a good way to stay connected to some of my aunts/uncles that I don't see very often, so I have stayed on, but i use it very little!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh when I saw your name leaving a comment on my blog I had no idea it was you! Minimalism is a great idea. I need to implement that in my social networking, too, I think!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.