1. Monday and Tuesday I was oh so sore, so I sat on my ass and did some reading/research for a writing project that I'm working on. I avoided stairs at all costs and getting from sitting to standing and vice versa hurt like hell. I think that my quads were in more pain after this marathon than Columbus but that my joints felt a lot better this time around. Yesterday I felt a relatively normal level of sore. I had some errands to run, including a trip to the university library to pick up some research materials that had come in for me. I parked in the farthest lot and walked about 30 minutes. I enjoyed stretching my legs in a low impact kinda way. Today I wanted to run, but I had promised myself that I would take this whole week off from running. Instead I went to the gym for some lifting and a couple of easy peasy miles on the elliptical machine.
2. In a semi-successful effort to stave off the post-marathon blues, I signed up for a marathon class that starts at my local Y in July. It's for a marathon here which is a couple of weeks after the Chicago marathon, so I might have to log an extra couple of miles on my own before or after the group long runs. I'm looking forward to having other people to train with, though. I just hope that none of them are my students....
3. I think I might also look into some minimalist running shoes since my mileage over the next couple of weeks is going to be on the low side as I reverse the taper. Do you use minimalist shoes? What have your experiences been with them or with barefoot running?
That's great that you signed up for a marathon clinic. I think it will be great to go through th etraining process with others!
ReplyDeleteI have never tried minimalist shoes... I see people with vibrams on the running path but have yet to give them a shot!
I love my minimalist shoes (Merrell barefoot). But not for, uh, running. I've run 2, 3, 4 miles (relatively easy pace) and they make me so happy and fast. Then I first got knee pain (which went away). Then I got pain in my foot. So I no longer run in them. And I have $100 shoes that I wear to bike. The price made my husband grumble a bit.
ReplyDeleteI would love to try a marathon clinic! Be sure and let us know what you learn.
ReplyDeleteI have been dabbling in minimalist shoes. I got a pair of Vibrams for Christmas but they ended up not working for me - my toenails are messed up from running and the Vibrams put too much pressure on them. Instead, I got a pair of the Saucony Kinvaras, which are a minimalist shoe. I like Saucony already and they worked well for me feet, and so far I love the Kinvaras. I haven't run anything too long lately (I think 5 miles was my longest in them) and they take a little getting used to, but nothing like the Vibrams. I feel faster in them and more in tune with my form. And they are so light! I'm a convert.
I wear Nike Frees, the men's version because my feet are slightly wide, and LOVE them. I used to have tons of issues with running shoes and now my feet are always happy! I was dubious, but very surprised how much I love them. But I also walk around a lot barefoot and flat sandals, so it wasn't much of a difference- I have heard of people experiencing foot pain as their muscles get used to minimalist shoes.
ReplyDeleteGood girl for holding off on running this week! yes! do the minimalist shoes. go BF even! It's the best.
ReplyDeleteI tried on some Nike Frees and Saucony Kinvaras yesterday, and I'm pretty sure I'll be going with the Kinvaras. The Frees felt a bit too narrow, as has been my experience with Nike in general and I don't have wide feet.
ReplyDeleteI tried on some Nike Frees yesterday, but the women's were too narrow, and I don't have wide feet. The local running shoe store didn't have any men's in the equivalent size. I'm thinking Saucony Kinvaras will be the way for me to go, as I tried some of those on as well and they seemed much better suited to my foot. I am almost always barefoot these days or I wear flats or sandals out of the house about 90% of the time. My heel collection has been getting quite the vacation since the start of April or so.
ReplyDeletei just ordered saucony kinvara 2 shoes - they aren't exactly minimalist, they are considered to be transition shoes toward minimalist shoes though
ReplyDeleteHey, I'm interested to hear more about your minimalist adventures... as with most things, I'm a bit skeptical, but interested to see what you find out!
ReplyDeleteWOW you are nuts! I mean that in a good way! I wouldn't want to run ever again if I ran a marathon, you are so fit! I have pretty lightweight running shoes, they're Saucony Fastwitch 2's, I think 5 is the latest. Obviously they didn't get a lot of use the first couple of years I had them =P I love them! They're lightweight but my feet still feel supported.
ReplyDelete