Monday, November 7, 2011

Blog Interview

If you aren't already absolutely sick of my academic talk, you should head over to Amber's fantastic blog, Girl with the Red Hair, because she interviewed me about what it's like to be a History Professor for her Featured Career series. Thanks so much to Amber for interviewing me!
Younger and tanner in Toledo
One thing that didn't come up in the interview is one of my favorite things about what I do. My research has enabled me to spend a lot of time in Spain and Mexico doing language programs and then doing the necessary research in archives and libraries there. I haven't been to the archives for over three years now. It's been too long. I find myself longing to get back into the archives these days, to touch documents, and have some of those exciting research moments that just don't seem as thrilling when you are sitting on your balance ball at your writing desk. My fingers are crossed that I'll get some grant money to spend a couple of weeks this summer back in Madrid, gathering some materials for my book and for another research project that I've started.

What is one of your favorite things about your job?

9 comments:

  1. Thanks again for being featured. Your career is so interesting!

    That is SO COOL that you've been able to spend a lot of time abroad for your work! What a great perk. Hope you can go back next summer!

    My favourite thing about my job is the flexible hours. I do have to work a certain number of hours a week, but don't have to adhere to strict 9-5 schedule. It allows me to take 2 hour lunches sometimes to escape for a yoga class or workout and it makes it much easier to fit my full-time job around my freelance writing schedule!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great interview!  You are definitely a positive force for academia's PR problems :-)

    I would say there are three things I love most about my job: 1) Doing work that nobody has ever done before (my research!). 2) Having great science conversations and coming up with new ideas for projects. 3) Flexibility with regard to hours and vacations.  I like being able to plan my time as I see fit, and I have a lot of freedom to do that.  

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was SO GREAT to read your interview! It makes me want to get back to higher academia again. :) You're a woman of many talents...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved your career feature!!  You will have to go read my obnoxiously long comment!  :) 

    My favorite thing about my job is that I get to talk to customer, write, and do analytical work in excel.  Most of my jobs have been all talking to customers or all analytical work.  This job is a lovely blend of them all and it's the first job where I have been able to write articles, which I REALLY enjoy doing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview!  The professors having lives thing is so true!  My dad's a professor and undergrads always seem so confused when they see him with his family.  Professors have kids too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, THAT Toledo (as opposed to my hometown in Ohio!).  Travel would definitely be cool, so that's definitely a nice opportunity that your career has given you.

    I like it when my job gives me things to research and get really analytical about, and that often leads to some pretty interesting discussions.  I also like some of the nerdy computer stuff I get to do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved your feature! How fun to get a little more insight into other's lives.

    My favorite thing about my job is that I get to travel and to LIVE in other places, so I really feel like I get to know the place, more than I would if I was just visiting. I also get to know the people and to see how it is in other parts of the nation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved the interview and felt very inspired by all of the photos of you in workspaces. 

    ReplyDelete
  9. So fun, famous lady! Loved reading about your job!
    Hmm, my favorite part is getting to know my students and watching them really become a part of our organization!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.