Wednesday, November 23, 2011

On Thankfulness

I'm spending this day before Thanksgiving grading papers, working on a grant proposal, and doing some baking. I have to admit that I'm feeling really grateful for this brief respite before I head into the final week of the term and then finals. M. and I are having a friend over for dinner tomorrow and a couple others may join us later in the evening for a glass of wine, so our prep this year for Thanksgiving is rather low key. We will do some cooking and feasting, but we aren't hosting a big group of friends or both of our parents this year. I plan to enjoy the day and indulge in my favorites: mashed potatoes, cornbread dressing, green bean casserole, and pumpkin pie. I am also making a promise to myself to take tomorrow completely off from any form of work. No grading. No research. No class prep. Just a day to enjoy a morning run, some relaxing, fun cooking, and the company of my spouse and friends.
A non-traditional Thanksgiving in Morocco with a dear friend in 2007
This year I have a lot of thanks to give. My mother-in-law, who has undergone treatment this past year for rectal cancer, is done with chemo and surgery and has been given a clean bill of health. My sister has had a healthy pregnancy and is due in just a few weeks. I have a job that challenges me and excites me - and that also pays me a livable wage and gives me health insurance. I am able to run. I have wonderful friends here and elsewhere who have enriched my life in so many ways. My spouse has been offered a class to teach in the spring, which will make things easier financially and help to keep him intellectually engaged. I'm also thankful for the little things that add up - good coffee, a snoring doggy at my feet, a text message from a loved one, and cute boots.

I hope that all my American readers have a wonderful holiday and that all of my readers have many reasons to feel thankful!

13 comments:

  1. What an excellent list of things for which to be thankful! My list is similar to yours, but it's always nice to reflect on the small things we take for granted. Happy thanksgiving! I hope you have a relaxing and delicious holiday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!


    xoxo ~ Courtney
    http://sartorialsidelines.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your day tomorrow sounds so nice. While I love spending time with family, sometimes the hustle of going from one set to the other gets a bit old. But...I'll be thankful anyhow! Enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm envious of your day tomorrow...it sounds perfect. We're shuttling between two sides of the family. Gets a bit old, but I'll be thankful to spend it with loved ones. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Thanksgiving, dear friend!  You do have a wonderful list, especially the restored health of your MIL and the healthy baby about to join your family.

    I am thankful for our on-line friendship :-)  It's been so fun getting to know you this year and being able to share stories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Thanksgiving! Enjoy your lovely day away from it all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to hear that your MIL is doing well. And congrats on your sister's pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a very happy Thanksgiving.  That is great that M. gets to teach a class in the spring!  What will he be teaching? 

    I am thankful for so much this year, as well!  

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a lovely Thanksgiving -- these respite days between the constant grading of mid-to-late term and the powering up to mark final papers and exams are especially sweet for knowing how fleeting they will be. You're wise to give yourself over completely to recharging, relaxing. And yes, we're always thankful for cute boots.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you had a lovely holiday!  It sounds like you have a lot to be thankful for this year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy (late) Thanksgiving! I hope you had a wonderful day. Sometimes it is nice to have a low key day and not be stressed out by the holidays... Also, I like your idea of taking a day to relax the day after and get some things done for you! I am spending this weekend visiting with friends, so will totally blow my calorie limit, but am happy with that, since it means good times. I can run next week! For real! Sometimes it's good to just relax and visit with friends instead of worrying when you will grade, or run, or whatever! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many blessings in the everyday. And big ones too, like your MIL and your sister!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.