Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Weekend Fun: Bridal Shower 5K

On Sunday my running group held a little 5K bridal shower for one of our members. Our coach had shirts designed for us to wear for the occasion as running attendants. One of the other runners made a veil for the bride-to-be with a stocking hat and some tulle and tuxedo t-shirt for the soon-to-be-groom. Our coach and fearless leader had come up with a very funny and very sweet little ceremony to join our friend the "Running Goddess" with her fitness partner for life and soon-to-be husband "Stud Muffin."

We ran a fun little Run Away Bride 5K route in our coach's neighborhood. The only two rules were for the bride and groom to stay together the whole time and to have fun. Since this was only my second time to run two days in a row since before my injury, I decided to run at an easy pace and ran with my friend K. and her daughter, A., who did an awesome job! After the run, we all had a yummy lunch of chili and fixings, cupcakes, coffee, and punch. Some of us had gone in together on a professional popcorn maker as a running bridal shower gift, so there was also some present opening and general conviviality. It was such a fun way to celebrate the upcoming nuptials of a couple of runner buddies!

M. is not a fan of running, and, while most of the time, I enjoy the fact that running gives me time away, Sunday was one of those times when I found myself wishing that my partner was a running partner too. Is running something that you share with your partner or significant other? Would you consider having a running bridal shower, bachelor/ette party, or Jack and Jill social for yourself or a running friend?

15 comments:

  1. I'm conflicted on the whole running with your partner thing too.  Somtimes it's nice for the alone time but others it would be nice to always have your partner right there.  Looks like this was a fun group run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an interesting twist on a bridal shower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful, supportive running family, how fun! Too bad M is a jerk! (disclaimer that this is a joke and the truth is he is one of the most totally awesome human beings ever.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! My friends and I have often celebrated occasions on the run...birthdays, weddings, etc. It's such a great way to mark events. I'm glad you've got a good group like that in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't run with J., I always start laughing too much. But we do share yoga, bikeriding, and have done BodyPump together in the past. 

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun idea! While I'm single at the moment I always hope that whoever I date might be somewhat into running.  It isn't a deal breaker by any means but I think it would be fun to wake up on the weekend and head out for a long run together...that is a weird relationship request huh?  Well maybe not coming from a runner :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. JC@floundering in flip flopsNovember 15, 2011 at 10:39 AM

    This is such an awesome idea - how fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks really fun! I would LOVE to have a running bridal shower, especially since it's such a big part of my life.

    Eric doesn't run, but we do go hiking together which I really enjoy. I wish that he would run with me (and he does, like once a year) but at the same time I like that it's "my thing".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, this is so, so sweet!  I love their bride-and-groom running outfits.

    Matt and I do not run together, but we do support one another's fitness efforts, which I think is great.  And we like to go walking or hiking together.  We always have really awesome conversations during those walks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like such a nice group! People here are sooo serious about run group, jeez. My husband runs sometimes and evry once in a while we'll do a long trail adventure together. He's much faster than I am so we cant really train together and i have to say i kind of like of having time alone to think while i run.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope we can do a race for Amber as a sort of 'running bridal shower' or sorts!  I think it will be a fun way to kick off her wedding weekend!

    I have never really dated a runner...  but I wish I did at times becuase it would be nice to run together occasionally or at least date someone who really gets the obsession I have with the sport/racing/marathons/etc.  

    ReplyDelete
  12. My partner is my best/worst running buddy. He's way faster than me (6 minute miles to my 8:45s), so I usually only see him for the first mile or two. Almost four years of this, and it's still ego-busting sometimes. ;-)

    My running group had a post-run cupcake feast to celebrate when Hubby and I got engaged, and our wedding photos feature lots of running/action shots (running shoes on with wedding dress, of course).

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea! And how cute do they look? Very, the answer is very cute.
    Well, I don't have a partner right now, but on my list slightly lower than "someone I can trust and someone I respect" is "runner." Not a deal breaker but I would love to have a partner that shares that part of my life. (since its such a BIG part!)
    But as long as the non-runner is supportive, it's coolio that your man isn't a runner!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this idea, and thanks for sharing photos!
    My guy is a strong runner with a considerably better pace than mine, but I run longer distances than he does. We very occasionally run together (if we're on vacation in a different city, for example -- this past year we've run together in San Francisco and in Paris, both very cool!), but usually I prefer running on my own rather than feeling as if I'm holding him back. 
    In fact, I'm pretty happy running on my own most of the time, just working stuff out in my head or letting my head stay empty, and focusing on the movement.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is awesome!  It would never have worked for us because my husband hates running, but for a couple who runs together it is perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.