This week presented the first true tests to staying on track with HBBC. Between being in the car for two days and visiting family, I have been unable to fully control when I get in work outs and what is on the table. However, I still managed to earn 17 points.
December 17: 2 points.
- I walked for 40 minutes.
December 18: 6 points.
- I ran 5 miles.
- I walked 10 minutes.
- I did 15 minutes of yoga.
December 19: 0 points.
December 20: 0 points.
December 21: 4 points.
- I ran 3 miles.
- I walked 20 minutes.
December 22: 1 point.
- I ate 7 servings of fruits and vegetables.
December 23: 4 points.
- I ran 3.5 miles.
- I walked 15 minutes.
The other day Miss Zippy wrote a blog post discussing some of her running experiences in 2011 and asked her readers about theirs. Although I wrote my 2011 running recap the other day, I decided it would still be fun to answer these questions.
Best race experience? Without a doubt, it was crossing the finish line of the Madison half-marathon with my dear friend Suzie. You can read my recap here.
Best run? I had a lot of great runs this year, but my best was a 6 miler on a summer morning with my running group. We ran on the trail along the river and it was early in the morning. The moon was still in the sky and the sun was coming up.
Best new piece of gear? I'm going to go with my Brooks winter running jacket on this one. I'm very pleased with this purchase.
Best piece of running advice you received? I think the best piece of running advice I received this year was to join a running group. I had pretty much always run solo or with just one other person. Group runs added a new dimension to my running.
Most inspirational runner? I would say it's a tie between Miss Zippy, who has been through an injury with grace and patience and still blogged such great content and inspired and supported other runners, and my group's running coach, Chris. She rocks!
If you could sum up your year in a couple of words, what would they be? Learning to kinda love hills.
To all my readers who celebrate Chanukah or Christmas, I wish you a very happy holiday weekend. May it be full of latkes or Christmas cookies or both!
I like your approach to working out and eating well while away from home -- count the small victories! I think that just as it's good to take a break from running from time to time, it's okay to relax about our commitment to nutrition and exercise occasionally as well. I know that I can be a bit too goal-oriented and sometimes just letting go is good as well.
ReplyDeleteEven though I already appreciated your year's running summary, I'm glad you answered these questions -- it was fun reading along and I was also thinking over the past year to answer for myself.
It's been fun discovering your blog this year. I wish you a Merry Christmas and a great time visiting with family and friends!
Wow--thank you so much for the very kind words--I can tell you I didn't always feel I acted w/ grace!
ReplyDeleteI love the sound of your favorite run w/ the moon in the sky. We get to see such beauty that the rest of the world misses while still in bed. And good move on the running group. You'll get so much out of that.
Finally--thank you for speaking your mind on yesterday's post! I like that. I guess the point I was making was that by design, I think spin classes are supposed to be hard. If the guy didn't wanted to work hard, he could have gone to a regular bike elsewhere in the gym. And then refrained fro singing Elvira! ; )
Balancing carrots with cookies seems like the best way to approach this year's holiday season for me. I hope you're enjoying the Brussels Sprouts and many other delicious treats!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad that you found me and that I, in turn, found your blog Frances. I very much enjoy your posts and look forward to reading more over the next year!
You do have a point about spinning being considered (or marketed as) a hard work out most of the time. My gym has recently been advertising classes and trying to emphasize that you can spin at your level. So maybe that guy was doing that. Singing along to Elvira, though.... I guess that is a punishable offense. :D
ReplyDeleteThat's a great set of questions! My best race was definitely my Victoria half. My best training run was probably a tempo run I did in July or August (can't remember when). I was able to run it at 8:30 pace, which I never thought I could do without dying. It was one of those - ok, I can do this sub-2 half moments!
ReplyDeleteI like hills too! I think that even though they are challenging they make me feel great...and they also make me feel a bit like Rocky. I want to throw up my arms and say Boo Yah when I get to the top!
ReplyDeleteLoved reading your answers to these questions. And great job keeping track of you points!
ReplyDelete