Sunday, January 29, 2012

Upcoming Travels and Budgetary Sacrifices

As many of you know, I really love traveling. I have lived in several different states in the US and in Spain. I've spent significant chunks of time in Mexico and Canada and have traveled in Europe and North Africa. Due to financial and time constraints I don't get to travel as much as I would like, but I'm excited to report that I am in the middle of planning some upcoming trips.

At Louisa May Alcott's home in Beacon Hill
While I will need to take some work with me, I'm planning on going to visit my sister in San Antonio for part of my spring break in March. Most of my time will no doubt be spent adoring my new niece and catching up with my sister and brother-in-law, but San Antonio is a great city. I've been twice - once early in grad school and once a little over a year ago to visit my sister and to run a half-marathon. I wouldn't mind going back to the River Walk for a long walk or a run, checking out the Art Museum and eating more than my fair share of delicious Tex-Mex.

Later in March I'll be heading to Boston (a city that I really, really like) to give an invited lecture at another institution and to attend a conference. I'm excited for that trip because I have close friends who live in Boston, so, in addition to my scholarly and professional activities, I'm sure I'll spend some quality time with them eating cannoli and visiting a museum or two. Also this trip will fall within a week of my birthday, so it will be like getting an extra celebration.

In May, I'm heading to Columbus, Ohio to run a half-marathon with a dear friend. It will be her first, and I can't wait! We will undoubtedly celebrate by eating Jeni's.

At some point this summer -- probably also in May -- I will be heading to Madrid for a few weeks of research. I am seriously jonesing to get back into the archives. I'm applying for some funding from various sources, and if I get a grant I'll be able to extend my stay and possibly spend a week in Seville doing research there, as well. I've been pricing tickets, and it's really tempting to just go ahead and buy. I'm hoping that some friends will be willing to put me up part of the time that I'm planning to be in Madrid, so that my dollars will stretch a bit farther than they otherwise might.
One of my favorite cafes in Madrid
Of course, all of these trips will cost money. I think that my trip to Boston will be completely covered, but tickets to San Antonio seem to be pretty spendy these days. I hope that I get some grant money to cover all of my time in Madrid, but I'm currently operating under the worst case scenario assumption. So this means that I'm going to have to buckle down and pinch pennies in some other areas of my life for the next few months. Apart from replacing my running shoes, I've decided not to buy any new clothing, books, or music from this point until May. I'm limiting myself to one coffee/latte purchase a week (rather than the 3-5 I was buying each week last semester). I also won't be registering for any other races over the next few months. Race registration fees add up quickly, and I'd rather have those discretionary funds for travel.

Do you have any upcoming trips planned? Is travel a priority for you? How do you organize your budget?

23 comments:

  1. Good question. I don't know if travel is a priority. At first consideration, I thought: Of course, it's top on the list. But, in truth, I've only been to Europe once in 20 yrs. I go away infrequently compared with many others. So, maybe I don't prioritize travel. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you go to a cottage, though? What about Montreal and New York?

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you have some great trips on the horizon!! Hope you get all the grant money you're hoping for!

    I tend to be better about saving for travel once I've actually BOOKED a trip. When we went to Europe a few years ago as soon as we booked the plane tickets I became REALLY strict with myself when it came to spending money on little things like coffee or dinner/lunches out. Same thing when we went to Orlando this past fall. Other than that I put $150/month into a "trips and fun" savings account but that account was majorly dwindled after I took three big trips within four months last year so I need to stock it back up again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping that I will not end up needing to be so frugal and that my penny pinching will end up allowing me to take another trip later in the summer. It all depends on getting grants, so thanks for the good luck wishes!

      Delete
  3. What a timely post! Nathan and I just sat down and made a budget and a list of sacrifices (it's boxed wine from here on out, unless we're going to a party). Being frugal is hard, but being in debt is harder. Best of luck with your budgeting! I think having travel as your prize should make it a lot easier. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least the box wine options have improved. :)

      Delete
  4. Great post!
    I'm wondering the same thing myself. I travel all over the US all the time (some of which is compensated as work travel - the rest are cheap flights and I often stay with friends/family).

    Then I found out last week that a paper of mine was accepted to a conference in Sweden this summer! How can I pass that up?!? How can I spend that much money on a flight?!? Decisions... Decisions...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How can you not go to Sweden?!?! There is also great running there, I hear....

      Delete
  5. I hear you, sister! My move this summer (and no paychecks for 4 months between jobs) is hurting our bank account already. We too are pinching pennies right now and I've cut out clothing and anything that doesn't literally run out (no new hair products, for example). Plus all the conference travel and opportunities to visit with friends and family are always too numerous than feasible, I always feel like I'm planning to go somewhere! While sometimes those trips are covered, sometimes does not add up to 100%.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that means congrats on a job! (Do I already know about this? Am I embarrassing myself here?)

      Delete
    2. No worries, I may have only alluded to it since I haven't made it public yet. But yes, I took a tenure-track offer from a southern NJ public/liberal arts school over break and the line was formally approved a few weeks ago. Our market cycle starts over Labor Day weekend, which has pluses and minuses. Good luck to you this spring!

      Delete
    3. Woohoo! That is seriously fantastic news! Thanks for sharing it with me (and for the good luck wishes)!

      Delete
  6. Although I love to travel, right now the priority is visiting family - which means we don't really get to pick where we go. I have been budgeting for a while and I'm about to purchase tickets for England and Germany this summer to see my parents and the in-laws!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh I know about the choices to be made. I am on a zero budget except for necessities, bills, gas. I have a show coming up with the opening and other events later this month, luckily my Chair decided it was too important to pass up. I sure hope you can get to Spain!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you are so fortunate to be able to travel. it will be worth the penny pinching, i'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are going to have a great year! I love Boston! And Spain, of course! You are so lucky to be able to travel so much! I don't have any trips planned this year yet, since I don't really know what my work outlook looks like. It's kind of hard to plan when you are not sure where you are going to be! As far as budgeting, I don't buy any material things really; I tend to spend my money on travel! (and race registration - phew!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Needing to travel to do my research is both a drawback and a perk of my area of expertise. :)

      Delete
  10. Travel is definitely a priority for me. I'm going to Italy in April (I'm chaperoning a school trip so it's free for me!), and my husband and I are planning a trip to Germany and Austria this summer. We try to save up by not eating out and only spending on necessities, but it's not always easy.

    Sounds like you have some good trips lined up. If you need restaurant suggestions while in Boston I have some recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Travel is a big priority for me! I will make sacrifices in other areas so that I have money to travel because traveling makes me SO happy. I am currently saving up for my trip for Amber's wedding. I don't have any other travel plans besides that, but I know i will have some work trips, probably to Nashville and Boston and possibly California. I usually try to parlay my work trips into a fun trip if I know someone in the area!

    Sounds like you have lots of exciting trips ahead of you - especially the Madrid trip!! Can't wait to live vicariously through you by reading your blog while you are there. I am already thinking about my next big European trip, which will be in 2 years when I *hopefully* pass the 3rd and final CFA exam. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes! There are many other areas I happily scrimp in to make sure that travel happens. And while I'm travelling, I've found that there are ways to keep it affordable without compromising enjoyment -- I'm looking forward to peeking at Madrid through your eyes this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, what a great itinerary! Oh, the places you'll go...(sorry for the terrible pun--I couldn't resist).

    I'm always saving for travel because I find it easiest to build it into my monthly budget. I set aside $100/month and any tax returns or credit card paybacks get put into my travel budget. And I'll admit that I can't seem to pinch pennies these days...I'm overbudget for January because I bought new running shoes and registered for my half-marathon. In February I'm splurging for some much-needed pantry organization, but I figure that comes out of my yearly furniture budget. I didn't spend anything on furniture in 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Having to limit my coffee expenditure would really cramp my style...but Spain would be worth it. My office mate studied there and tells such interesting stories about the street life.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yaaay for San Antonio, and travel in general! I had a trip to Europe planned for this spring but "spending plan" changes has me rethinking it. I think right now I'd like to take several smaller trips! Hoping for Colorado again to get in some more mountain time!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.