Wednesday, February 1, 2012

February Goals

My first priority this month is to get well. I have come down with a case of tonsillitis (apparently I am reverting to age 7). In addition to trying to get well with the help of some physician prescribed extra rest and drugs, I'm trying to set monthly goals that help to break some of my bigger goals for 2012 down into more manageable tasks. I'm carrying some things over from last month that I didn't get accomplished and trying to build on some of January's successes.


Professional/Writing Goals
1. Finish the primary source modernization project that I'm working on. I'll continue to block out time several days a week to work on this. Getting this off my desk is a top priority for February.
2. Get drafts of two grant applications done. In order to get myself moving on this one, I've asked a colleague for some feedback on a very preliminary draft on of these and have set up an appointment with my institution's research center later in the month to get me to crank out the other one in a timely matter.
3. Continue working on the chapter outlines for my book proposal. Again, the other deadlines are a bit more pressing, but I want to continue making progress on this project.

Fitness/Health Goals
1. Run 70 miles in February. I've made some adjustments to my training schedule to account for my lower mileage last month and the fact that I am currently ill, but I still want to challenge myself to get close to the mileage on the original plan. I have two double digit long runs on the docket for this month!
2. Maintain my food journal daily. I want to do as good a job in this category this month as I did last month.
3. Do more yoga. Like last month, I'm going to keep doing shorter practices, but I want to also work in at least two longer practices this month.

Miscellaneous Goals
1. Take a photograph everyday for my 365 project and create a collage at the end of the month. Having this as a goal helped to remind me to take the camera out and experiment on a near-daily basis last month, so I want to keep plugging on with this one.
2. Make time for friendships. It is kind of sad that I have to make this a goal, but I tend to get caught up in projects and ignore the world around me - sometimes too much. So I'm setting the goal to spend some quality time chatting with a friend at least once a week once I have my voice back. I want to keep up my gym dates with my friend Suzie, but also to connect with other friends either in person over a cup of coffee or glass of wine or over the phone or on Skype with those friends who are far away.

What do you have on your agenda for February? Any races? Writing deadlines? I'd love to hear what you'll be focusing your energies on this month!

9 comments:

  1. Ooh, I'd love to see the photos at the end of the month. And yeah, I too am feeling like I have neglected my friendships. I guess that's one of the major downfalls to marathon training and being stressed out with work. I just don't make the time for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you're plans are so impressively detailed. I too need to make time for friendships. I tend to get wrapped up in my world and neglect those who count the most.
    Here's to a great feb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, I hope you feel better soon. :( Tonsilitis is horrible. I got chronic tonsilitis when I was a freshman in college and eventually had to get my tonsils out. So horrid. Hope you are on the road to health soon!!

    In the month of February, I want to re-build my running base, keep up with my study plan, and make more time for friends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you feel better soon. Making time for friends sounds so simple, but can be really complicated. And sometimes we don't realize how necessary it is until you've neglected the relationships for too long...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending healing vibes your way...and whee, 70 miles! I think I'll get close to 60 miles this month. I don't normally set mileage goals, but it is fun to think about it in terms of total miles run :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is sad that we have to consciously work on friendships, but I find myself in the same situation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ouch! I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry about the tonsilitis -- I hope your antibiotics have kicked in by now and you're on the mend.
    I very consciously arranged a walk with a good friend on my work-at-home day last Friday -- too many weeks elapse with my just thinking I should do that. Really, I need to make this a higher priority on my to-do list as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.