Wednesday, February 29, 2012

February in Review

I didn't accomplish nearly as much as I had hoped to this month, but I did still make some progress on my goals. I also got to spend some time running with my best friend, planning future travels, and snuggling with my pup, so February goes into the books as a pretty good month.

My Professional/Writing Goals were:
1. Finish the primary source modernization project. I made substantial progress on this and finished on of the texts. I'm waiting for a green light from my co-editor and the director of the commissioning society regarding a technical issue before I start on the next. 
2. Get drafts of two grant applications done. I have drafted one and was in the middle of drafting the second grant proposal when I heard the bad news that the funding on this particular grant had been pulled for the year and that there would be no competition in 2012. It was a bummer to hear, but it's something I don't have any control over. So I'm counting this one as a success on my part at least. 
3. Continue working on chapter outlines for my book proposal. Yes. I have made some progress here so this one gets a check mark, too. 

My Fitness/ Health Goals were:
1. Run 70 miles in February. Nope. I only ran 45 miles in February. In part this low mileage was due to an unexpected bout of tonsillitis that caused me to miss several runs, including a long run. 
2. Maintain my food journal daily. I've done pretty well with this. I missed a few days mid month, but otherwise my calendar is pretty full of stickers. So this one was mostly accomplished this month. 
3. Do more yoga. I had hoped to get in a couple of longer practices, but I haven't. I also haven't done as many short practices as I typically due. Again, in part, this is a result of being ill. It's also probably a consequence of not making time to do yoga when I probably need to do it most.  

My Miscellaneous Goals were:
1. Take a photo every day for 365 project and create a collage. I've taken a photo most days but I've missed several. Because I'm pressed for time and really should grade papers instead of making a collage, I'm just going to share one photo from this month of the project with you. 
2. Make time for friendships. I think I did pretty well with this one. I got in a number of work outs and a long run with my dear friend Suzie. I had coffee twice with dear friend L. I had phone conversations with two good friends who are far away. I also took this hockey-lovin' fool out to dinner on his birthday.
Even though I didn't get everything done I wanted to this month, it was a full and mostly good month for me. I made progress on projects. I had a confidence-building long run. I ate birthday cake with my hubs. How was your February? Did you run any races? Pass any big milestones? Eat any good cake? 

10 comments:

  1. Um, I made it through February and that seems like a feat in itself. . . does it count?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way - I made it through the month somewhat unscathed, that's an achievement in itself as far as I'm concerned.

    Courtney ~ http://sartorialsidelines.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like February was a good month towards your professional goals! And, sounds like the long run was great for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friend did a Project 365 last year. It was fun to look back through her album at the end of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday to M!

    My biggest goal for this month was to submit a grant, but the grant is currently sitting in my advisor's in-box. I don't have control over how fast things get done when I've handed my work over to him. Technically I suppose I get an Incomplete on the grant goal, but I have faith it will get done. (Soon, I hope!)

    Here's to a great March! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like a productive month! I am sorry you were sick part of the time; that is always a bummer. It makes it hard to reach your goals, as if they are not sometimes hard enough!

    I had a very difficult month, motivation wise, but I did get in a race and a couple of long runs, so I am happy with that. I also got to spend time with some friends and family, so that is also good. But I am having a hard time achieving my personal goals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great month. The sickness thing sucks as that is out of your control.

    February was not my favorite month... but I am determined to make March better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. As I read your post I kept thinking, wait, February is over? Tells you how my month went. My spring break is in two weeks and I have a special issues journal deadline breathing down my neck, so all hands are on deck with tests, grading, and revising. I'm going to be a revising fool in March. Which is tomorrow. Yikes! But I make a point to read every night and February featured Richard Dawkins' "God Delusion" and Joan Dideon's "The Year of Magical Thinking". First up in March is Gabriel Garcia Marquez' "One Hundred Years of Solitude", so far so good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I felt like February was a constant two-steps-forward-one-step-back sorta month.

    I love that pic of M.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds like a pretty good record, overall - especially considering the tonsillitis!

    Good cake? Normally I don't like king cake (not a fan of the cream filled ones) but Hubby and I found a pecan king cake for Mardi Gras... **drooling just thinking about it**

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.