Sunday, February 19, 2012

Run for Fun

Last week someone asked me about my hobbies, and I responded that my most time-consuming hobby was probably running. Although running has not consumed nearly enough of my time over this past week, I often spend hours on the road, doing that thing that I love to do. I also tried to explain that since I'm not a particularly fast runner it's probably a good thing that I do really enjoy it.

I've written in the past about the reasons that I run. But I think it's worth noting again that I primarily do it because I enjoy it. It gives me happiness and keeps me feeling a little more even around the edges. This past week I only managed to get in one run, and I definitely felt the difference in my body and mind. My energy lagged. My posture wasn't as good. I felt a little more pent up than normal. When I ran for the first time in several days this morning, I immediately felt the little boost that comes with that act of sweating in the sunshine.

I also mentioned that I had plans to run a half-marathon next month. That race is now less than four weeks away, and I am currently behind schedule and will probably be a bit undertrained for it. I don't expect this one to be a PR and, unless the stars align unexpectedly, I don't anticipate that it will be a PR effort for me. In all likelihood, this one will be for fun and to celebrate my birthday. More than anything, though, I hope that half-marathon #8 will mark another year of knowing that running is fun.

8 comments:

  1. I think it's good to remind ourselves that we do this because we enjoy it. It seems like it's easy to get caught up in training plans and to lose sight of the fact that you actually enjoy being out there. I got 3 runs in this week, but they were short 3-4 mile runs. This week I realized that I just don't think I can do the 1/2 on 3/17. :( Which makes me so sad, but between my surgery and recovery and then work travel, I have not built my mileage back up and I think I'd risk injuring myself. :( I am bummed as I wanted to run it with you on your birthday! I might see if I can switch over to the 7k instead...

    ReplyDelete
  2. They don't all have to be PRs! Sometimes running them for fun is way more... well... FUN! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Running is definitely a time consuming hobby! And it's also not really one you can do at the same time as other ones, so it blocks off a big time chunk all by itself! It is fun though, and it makes you feel good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wise person once told me that you have to run for a reason... Some of us LOVE running. Some love the feeling of accomplishment AFTER a run. Some hate running, but love the competition... Whatever it is - you have to love *something* about it.

    I'm glad you love running, and I hope you have a great time at that half!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't do much exercise this week because I was sick, and definitely felt deprived. Not being able to do it is a good reminder that you love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Running is FUN! It's really that simple even tho life and injuries make that a little compplicated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. #8! That is quite an accomplishment. This March will be #4 for me and it also will not be a PR race, but I'm okay with that. I just hope I can walk and get around the next day! :-) It's funny how I'm more concerned with my recovery than the actual race--maybe it's a sign of being a more advanced half-marathoner and the amount of walking I do at work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It IS fun and I cherish those moments that we are reminded that we CHOOSE to do this! It's a blessing to be healthy, a privilege to have the free time and no one makes us! I hope you enjoy every minute of your birthday celebration half marathon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.