I have worked on my writing every day since last Monday. Indeed I've been on a veritable writing streak that has produced 4,400 words on paper and has moved a draft of a text that I've been working on for awhile off my desk and to my co-editor for feedback.
Having concrete deadlines is definitely motivating me. To be perfectly honest, the fact that I publicly announced that I would be writing every single day for a week has also been a major motivating factor. On Thursday, I got home at around 6:30 after eight hours on campus, holding office hours and teaching. It was the end of my teaching week. I was tired. Normally, I might have said to hell with it and spent the rest of the evening relaxing. Instead, because I didn't want to have to admit that I hadn't written anything that day, while M. made dinner, I sat down with my laptop and cranked out some paragraphs.
I have two more days to go to meet my goal of completing the pilgrim challenge. Today and tomorrow I must write, revise, or modernize at least two pages worth of words. I am weary, but there is a certain momentum that is propelling me forward now. I may have to back track, purge and delete words, reshape sentences, jettison ideas, but in the meantime I will get them on the page.
Have you ever been on a streak of some sort? What is the longest stretch of consecutive days that you have engaged in some activity - going for a run, writing a certain amount, doing yoga?
Way to go! The end is in sight, you can do it! I am not sure what the longest streak I've had is. I have had long streaks of CFA studying, but have never counted. I have had stretches of studying every day for 7 days in a row, but theni usually need a break after that because my mind starts to stop absorbing things! I feel good about my 4 day streak that I am on right now - I studied Thur & Fri night and then put in 5.5 hours on Sat and again on Sunday. And I will likely not take a day off until Friday which will make an 8 day stretch, which is decent!
ReplyDeleteGood job - I tend to work better with a deadline in sight. I'm not a procrastinator at all but just the thought of the deadline usually makes me focus. Sounds like you are on a great streak to meet your goal.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on getting so many words down! I love when challenges actually work. :) I am planning to do a yoga challenge at some point this year - maybe 30 days of yoga in a row. I haven't figured out the rules yet, but I think it will be a fun challenge.
ReplyDeleteGreat progress and very inspiring! I don't think I've ever really done a streak of any kind.
ReplyDeleteGreat job!! I'm trying to be on a writing streak since my dissertation is due soon :) but perhaps I should consider more concrete short term goals to get me there. I also try and include 1/2 hr stretches of using my standing desk (computer on a box) and my balance ball, along with an hour of movement (running/walking combo) a day. You're an inspiration!
ReplyDeleteGood job! That's why I like setting goals in a public forum, like blogging - keeps me accountable. I've managed to get my 4 days/week of gym time in every week since early December, so that's probably my longest streak of any kind.
ReplyDeleteYou're almost there--keep up the great work! Momentum is powerful stuff indeed.
ReplyDeleteThat's great! I am doing the challenge as well and I found it amazing how much easier 400 words/day was than I thought it would be. Really, it's only a couple/few paragraphs! When you sit down and just do it, I think it goes faster than you think and then, like you said, you have over 4000 words to show for it! I am glad you (and M) brought this idea up last week. You have helped me a lot!
ReplyDeleteI try to run 4 days a week and have been doing pretty well with that over the last several months. It's amazing how much easier it is once you have formed a habit. Also, I love the idea of breaking it down into smaller, manageable bits. Funny you posted on this, as I have one scheduled for tomorrow regarding my progress on the matter.
Inspiring! I'm pretty consistent about my running and my blogging -- now to apply that to the writing . . .
ReplyDeleteNice work on your writing streak! That must feel like quite an accomplishment. :)
ReplyDelete