I made it back from Spain yesterday evening and managed to keep my eyes open until 10pm before I crashed. The next couple of weeks will be relatively busy as we prepare for a house-hunting expedition in the city that will be our new home. We are considering buying a home if things fall into place, so we need to see if we qualify for mortgage loans and are still trying to make decisions about the actual move in July. With this in mind and the fact that I will be hard at work on a project in NYC in July and August, I'm trying to keep my June goals manageable and few in number so that I get a bit of downtime going into the chaos of the later part of the summer.
My goals for June are:
1. Finish my book manuscript proposal and get going with revising a sample chapter for submission along with it to presses. Ideally, I'd like to have them sent out to a number of presses by the time I leave for my first two-week stint in NYC in July.
2. Run at least 50 miles in the month of June. Right now I don't have any races on my schedule, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't at least keep up a minimum running base for when I put a half-marathon on my agenda for the fall.
3. Get ready for the move. I need to mercilessly clean out my closets and office, cull things that need to go, and actually take them to Goodwill. I also need to put some things on craigslist. (Anyone want a futon or a bike?) Also, I need to stay on the ball with making arrangements for moving -- booking the moving company, making decisions about housing and travel routes, etc.
4. Start work on a conference paper/article manuscript draft. I found some interesting things at the archives this past month that I'm wanting to turn into a journal article. I also found out I was accepted to a conference in the fall with a proposal on a related topic, so I want to get a start on this.
That's it for this month. What's on your agenda this month?
Wow - that sounds like a very full month nonetheless.
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh, you have so much going on right now! Ufda! Lots of exciting things, and fun changes, but with change comes stress! So hang in there, lady!
ReplyDeleteMy goal for month is to assimilate back to my normal life - i.e. spend time with friends, actively participate in conversations when out for happy hour, etc. I feel like I really collapsed inward the last 1-2 months as I prepared for the CFA. It consumed my life so much, I felt sort of hallow if that makes sense?
Besides that, I too need to cull my condo and get rid of stuff that's been piling up for the last 5 months! And I want to increase my mileage - definitely over 100 miles, hopefully around 125!
You've got a busy summer! My main goal this month is just to get myself back to Canada and find a job...any job. But I also want to finish up with an article I'm revising and make some serious headway on my monograph over the summer as well.
ReplyDeleteCourtney ~ http://sartorialsidelines.com
Welcome home! I've got a headstart on overcoming the jet lag (and I have an extra 2 hours to deal with) -- it's a bitch, for sure!
ReplyDeleteYou're wise to take it easy if/when you can -- that treadmill is going to get cranked right up with the move and you know that moving into a new position will take huge amounts of all kinds of energy. Take care.
I'm forever impressed with your multi-tasking. The thought of buying a home while you have other things you're working on is a biggie. I know when I bought my first home that that choice alone consumed me for several months.
ReplyDeleteI am actually looking for a futon and a bike. Too bad you don't live closer! Good luck with your organizing for your move, your house hunting and everything else! You are going to be pretty busy this month!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you are back in the States, safe and sound. Your goals sound spot-on to me and really well-balanced, which is a funny thing to say when you are about to move! Best of luck to you, my dear--you never fail to inspire :-)
ReplyDeleteOh, and here's something exciting: I'm bringing back the star chart for June! Woo-hoo! Gold (er, ball-point pen) stars ahoy!
Welcome back and much-belated congratulations on your new job! I am super-excited for you, and super-impressed with your goals for the month, given that you may in fact deserve at least a couple of weeks of slacking off and utter relaxation.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the mortgage deets and preparations for MS submissions. What fun to know where you're going to be and start working toward tenure! Hurrah!
You always have these great goals. I'm not sure I have ANY goals for June. Blah.
ReplyDeleteI have to,go look at your travels now that I'm finally catching up! You have great goals thanks for sharing as it totally reminds me of a few things I need to set a deadline for
ReplyDelete