When I set my goals for this month, I tried to keep them manageable because I knew that August would be a busy month with my trip to NY, the continued challenges of moving such a distance, and the start of my first semester at a new institution. They were:
1. Get my course syllabi ready and my lesson plans in order. I did get my syllabi together in a timely enough fashion. Course prep and lesson planning have been a little bit more challenging, as I still need to re-read some of the books I'm teaching this semester and only managed to dig them out of their boxes on Wednesday - the day after said boxes were delivered.
2. Make more progress on that article manuscript. I did make some progress on this goal. This manuscript isn't where I would like it to be right now, but, after a meeting in NY, I also needed to edit a draft of the introduction to the volume that I'm co-editing so that it could be sent to the publisher. So my energies were largely focused on that last week and the start of classes this week.
3. Start training for my fall half-marathon. I have picked a training plan and started training - though the start of the semester has meant that the plan is more like a suggestion and I've had to move some things around and miss a few miles.
4. Attend at least three yoga classes during the month of August. This one I rocked. I went to five yoga classes in August - three in NYC and two here in Anchorage. It has felt really good to get back on the mat, and I'm planning to make yoga (and unpacking) my main method of cross-training in September.
My goals for this month will be largely focused on establishing good habits - making sure that I am making good use of the time I'm gaining from a course release this semester and finding ways to motivate myself to run in the afternoons when necessary and getting to yoga. They are:
1. Devote a minimum of 15 hours a week to research and writing. Although I have a course release this semester, I teach four days a week, so I need to be really disciplined about using my non-teaching weekday to focus on research whenever possible. I also need to get better about shutting my campus office door and just seeing how much I can get done in those 60 or 90 minute blocks between classes and meetings. I will use this time this month to:
A) Get as close to possible to finalizing the transcription and the edition of the primary source texts for the co-edited volume.
B) Have a finished draft of the article manuscript I've been working on this summer.
C) Make progress on the conference paper I'll be presenting in late October.
2. Make running a priority and run 80 miles in the month of September. I have a half-marathon to run in October, and I really don't want another disappointing performance like the ones I gave this spring. That means logging the miles, doing the scheduled speedwork, and getting up earlier or sucking it up and forcing myself out the door or onto the treadmill in the afternoons if necessary. I'd also like to make it to at least a couple runs with a local group. I need some running buddies.
3. Get back to maintaining my food journal. I really fell of the wagon with journaling during the summer because I was traveling so much and eating out or just picking up a deli sandwich for most of my meals in New York. I had to shimmy into jeans that were a little loose back in May, so making more careful food choices is close to becoming a budgetary necessity as well.
4. Finish unpacking and get organized. The completion of this goal is partially contingent on the new furniture I'm getting in my campus office arriving because right now I don't have any bookshelves. But I can figure out which books and research files get unpacked at home and which go into campus soon. Also I can make my house more like a home so that we can hopefully invite some new friends over for dinner or a drink soon.
5. Spend some time exploring my new city. I'd like to check out the Farmers' Market, try a new-to-me restaurant for brunch, get a library card, and find a coffee shop to do work in occasionally.
How was your August? Did you hit any major running milestones? What's one thing you hope to accomplish in September?

My August was not nearly so busy. Who is responsible for stripping the screws in the furniture?! When do your classes actually begin? Are you on a trimester system?
ReplyDeleteSince the desk came assembled by the furniture company it was either their fault or that of the movers who took the desk apart back in the Midwest. We're hoping that we can find a way to fix it, as it's a really nice desk and my writing desk isn't ideal for spreading out very many materials so if I need to consult books or files as I write I use the big desk. I'll be on semesters here, and the fall term started this past Monday.
DeleteNice job with all your yoga! That's always something I could add more of... my Sept goals are to build my base back up again, after taking a lot of time off in July and August. I'm ready for cooler temps, too!
ReplyDeleteOh that is a bummer about the desk... I hope you figure out a way to fix it!
ReplyDeleteAugust was a pretty good month for me. I got in 160+ miles which I am happy with. I survived the changes at work - with some tears, of course, but I didn't cry on my boss's last day which I consider my biggest accomplishment of the month.
For September, my goal is to try to keep up with my workouts despite my busy travel schedule. I am VERY nervous.
I am a Brazilian fellow professor/runner... I am long time reader, but this is my first time commenting. I feel excited for you and your new work, your monthly goals are very inspiring, I hope everything goes wonderfully for you! All the best!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for your comment and good wishes!
DeleteYou are doing a lot in September! It's hard to get accustomed to a new schedule at work, run the miles and unpack/get your life organized! And you are doing them all at the same time, which is even more difficult. You are going to do fine, but make sure you take some time to do number 5!!
ReplyDeleteYes, I'm most excited for you to do #5 as well! A new city is such a treat, and you've already starting showing us that Alaska is really stunningly beautiful.
DeleteYou are an inspiration as always! I should make a list of goals for this month--I feel like I have a lot of things happening but I don't have a nice list to remind myself of what I hope to accomplish. It would be so, so nice to have a manuscript draft written, even if I'm still doing experiments/analyzing data.
ReplyDeletePS Excuse the self-promotion here, but the following post has a few of my favorite cheap-and-fast homemade eats. Just looking at it makes me feel ready for fall!
http://lifeloveandfood24.blogspot.com/2011/10/cozy-recipe-list-to-keep-your-wallet.html