Somehow today is Halloween. I hope you're having a happy one and that you are warm, dry, safe, and able to celebrate if you so choose! My Halloween this year has been pretty low-key so far. Since I was attending a conference last weekend, I didn't attend any costume parties. I wore an orange skirt and a black shirt, black tights, and black boots as I wanted to be festive but wasn't sure what the institutional culture of Halloween would be like here. I expect that come dusk we will get some intrepid neighborhood kids braving the cold temps and the snow in search of chocolate.
My goals for this past month were:
1. Work toward getting completely unpacked and organized. While I'm getting there, this month was a bit strange in that category. I had to repack my campus office a couple of weeks ago so that the old surplus furniture could be taken out and the new furniture installed. I still have a few boxes of books that need to be unpacked and then the sorting on the shelves can take place, but my campus office is coming together pretty nicely. In terms of finishing unpacking at home, we had our lovely desk repaired, and it was just returned from the woodcrafters' shop on Monday afternoon, so this weekend we'll probably spend some time moving filing cabinets around and hanging up a few odds and ends in the office and study.
2. Devote a minimum of 15 hours a week to research. I did pretty well here. I didn't hit 15 hours last week while I was attending a conference and there was another week when grading midterms prevented me from reaching my time goal. However, I wrote and presented a conference paper, and I made progress on the edited volume and an article manuscript. I'm calling this one a win.
3. Make being active a priority in October. I didn't log the number of miles that I wanted to in October, coming in only around 53 miles for the month. Between travel and a longer than usual recovery after a hilly half-marathon, I'm okay with that. I did run my fastest half of 2012 and made it to a few yoga classes this month, too.
4. Maintain my food journal for the entire month. Epic fail. I feel pretty ready to throw in the towel and admit that this goal has just defeated me this year. I'm not sure I journaled more than 3 days this month and none of them were consecutive. Clearly, I need to incentivize this in order to get back into the habit.
Although it wasn't a perfect month, I'm coming away from the past few weeks with a lot of positives and some good writing and running momentum. How was your October? Did you accomplish any goals? Run any races? Establish any new positive habits?

Sounds like a strong month for you - plus it was a busy one with midterm grading and your trip for that conference! I had a good month of October. I ran a strong marathon, survived a very busy travel season, and thoroughly enjoyed a week off from running. :)
ReplyDeleteMy October has been hellish! My new job has just been eating all my time (I stay 1-2 hours late every day of the week) and between that and job applications, moving apartments (which is happening today - yikes!), and working on a set of a revisions for an article. This month has just been nuts. And, unfortunately, it's affected my sleep, eating, and exercise patterns -- I haven't had a decent workout in a month, am averaging 5 hrs of sleep a night, and I don't even want to tell you how much junk I've been eating! My November project is to get back on track.
ReplyDeleteCourtney ~ http://sartorialsidelines.com
Sounds like a successful month to me! I can't complain about mine either, all things considered. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to hear the desk has returned! It sounds like you have made great strides toward nesting in your new home. Meanwhile, I hold out hope that your campus office will be a lovely, productive space once all the work is done.
ReplyDeleteThe food journal thing is interesting. I think if I didn't eat (more or less) the same thing for breakfast every day and pack a lunch for work, my eating habits would suffer a lot. The simplicity of the routines makes healthy eating much easier. Also, I really focus on eating lots of fruits and vegetables, which makes it easier for me to moderate my intake of less nutrient-dense foods, like chips, crackers, sweets, etc. Maybe you could shift your attention to a different aspect of meals and nutrition if the food journaling is hard to maintain? Just my two cents' worth :-)
Thanks! It has been a productive space so far. I'm hoping to keep the momentum going. It's more challenging to work at home when M. is here during the day. Yet another reason for me to hope that he gets put on a full time job with the records management company soon....
DeleteI typically eat the same 3-4 things for breakfast each morning and pack my lunch if I'm not eating at home. My problems are that, for one thing, it is harder to get good fruits and vegetables here - I just bought a batch of sad mushy apples this week - and that M. won't eat most fruits and vegetables anyway, so he often has crackers and chips, which tempt me because I'm a fan of the crunchy and salty. I am also really bad about portion sizes, which is the main reason that I have struggled with my weight since adolescence.
I love the Giants support! Oh, that's a Halloween outfit!? Just kidding. I love it! October was a big race month for me. I had one each weekend. It also marked my brother's first race, lots of friends and family time, and some busy times at work. I have been settling into Fall and cooking a few different things as well!
ReplyDelete