Monday, January 7, 2013

Things That are New(s)

Since I last posted there have been several new developments around these parts. For one thing, we are seriously considering adopting a second dog. A woman who goes to the same climbing gym as a woman who works at our doggy daycare is having to give up her dog as she is moving out of state. We're still trying to work out a time to meet the dog, who is currently being fostered, introduce her to Bailey, and make sure that we are all compatible, but I'm hopeful that by the end of the month we may have a canine addition to our family.

Another new thing is that I got a long overdue haircut. Scissors had not touched the hairs on my head since May and part of me was trying to keep long hair for a while longer, so I was initially just planning on getting a trim. However, I was bothered many times by my hair on our trip to Louisiana. It kept getting pulled by my backpack, and it was attracting static electricity like you would not believe. I decided to check out an Aveda Concepts Salon here, and I loved the atmosphere and my new stylist. I had her give me an asymmetrical graduated bob, and I immediately felt more like myself.


Late last week I started to feel a little bit anxious about the start of a new term. It's now just one week away, so I spent much of this weekend working on my syllabi and doing some preliminary course prep. Bailey was not much help. She absolutely refused to read about early modern blood transfusion experiments on animals, quickly tired of reading about radicals in the English Civil War, and took a nap to protest that I did not assign any readings about learned pigs.


Finally, I have picked out and registered for a spring half marathon. I will be running the San Diego Half Marathon on March 10th! I'm hoping for a strong performance that will give me confidence going into the second half of my training for the Vancouver Marathon, and I'm definitely looking forward to a few days in southern California as a break from winter in Anchorage.

What's new with you? Do you have any spring races planned?

17 comments:

  1. Fun race to run! And a new fun haircut! I really want to go short again after the wedding. We'll see if I have the guts. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! Bummer I won't be in San Diego then, but good luck with the race!

    And I love the new 'do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn! I would have loved to have met up with you!

      Delete
  3. I like the new cut. I have been tempted to go short again lately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the new haircut and very excited about the companion possibility for Bailey! I hope your back-to-school jitters dissipate quickly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, I hope everything works out with the second dog! Two dogs was kind of overwhelming for us at first, but I'm so so so glad we adopted a friend for Jude.

    And I love your haircut! It frames your face so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll see what happens. We're meeting the dog in question tomorrow. Mark is full of practical concerns, though, so we'll have to see if those can be overcome.

      Delete
  6. Your haircut is so cute!
    I'm wishing I'd done more course prep over the break, but now will just have to paddle as quickly as I can to stay just enough ahead of my students. So good luck with your reading.
    I'm looking forward to seeing you set out your training plan for the 1/2 and then to see how you segue from that to full-out Marathon training. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I'll be posting my training plan soon. Just making a few tweaks to it still. :)

      Delete
  7. I hope everything runs smoothly with your potential new puppy - that's really exciting and sort of makes me want to run out and get another cat...

    Courtney ~ http://sartorialsidelines.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. An adorable post all around, R. You look terrific and apparently many of us readers are also thinking about going short! (Me included.) Also, like materfamilas, I'm excited to see your training plans for the upcoming races, so do share them if the spirit moves you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you, my dear! I will definitely be sharing the plan soon! And undoubtedly marathon Mondays will be making their return, too....

      Delete
  9. LOVE the new haircut--really cute on you!

    Bailey needs to get a better work ethic. ; )

    San Diego should be perfect as a a cold weather escape for you. Enjoy the build up to it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. awww ... how fun! I hope the dog works out :) We too are contemplating bringing a 2nd pet into our home. It's a tricky process and our first attempt did not go smoothly. Hopefully we'll find a match. San Diego Half sounds sweet, nice city with a great atmosphere! I have registered for my half within the Full marathon training too. Just really hoping for no rain.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck on the 2nd dog! I'd love to get another but our daughter (2) is not exactly at the age for it. Your hair looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the haircut! I just got one too, but mine is not so great...yours looks awesome though! Good luck in San Diego; that is going to be a great race. Have you been before? It's beautiful! I only have one spring race -- Boston. Other than that, I may run a few other local smaller races here and there. There is a local running group that puts on a $5 10k every month, as well as another local running group that does really nice trail races...so I am looking forward to all of these!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.