Monday, February 11, 2013

Vancouver Marathon Training: Week 4

For what it's worth, another week of running and training is in the books. As with last week, things didn't go quite according to plan, but I did manage to log most of the miles I was supposed to.

Winter blues and greys

Monday - scheduled yoga. Actual yoga. I just did a short 20 minute gentle flow podcast from Yoga Journal.  It was exactly what I needed after the end of what felt like a very long work day.

Tuesday - scheduled 4 miles easy. Actual 5 by the 5th Virtual 5K on the treadmill in 30:36. You can read more about it in its own post below.

Wednesday - scheduled timed mile. Actual rest. Since I ran fast (for me) the previous day, I decided to put off the timed mile for a few days.

Thursday - scheduled 3 miles easy. Actual 4 miles easy. I hopped on the treadmill to watch some Netflix and log a few easy miles. The pace averaged out to 10:55 min/miles.

Friday - scheduled 4 miles easy. Actual rest. I had some things to attend to for a couple of service obligations and it made for a strange day.

Saturday - scheduled belly dance. Actual 3 miles easy. I decided that I really didn't enjoy belly dance all that much. I'm sure it would have been good for my tight and inflexible shoulders and upper body, but I would much rather run, bike, or do yoga instead. So I gave myself permission. I headed out the door for a few miles on a stunningly beautiful winter day. It was icy and a bit windy in more exposed areas, but it was good for the soul. My average pace was 11:31. I followed it up with some push ups, crunches, and a short yoga session on my mat.



Sunday - scheduled 7 miles LSD. Actual 7 miles LSD on the treadmill at an average pace of 11:17. I felt physically okay, but this run was hard mentally and emotionally. I had received some troubling news from a loved one earlier that morning, and the first part of February has, since college, been an emotionally low time for me in general as it marks the anniversary of my father's passing. (Today is the actual calendar date.) I got through the run, but I'm not ashamed to admit that I spent an hour sobbing uncontrollably afterwards.

Total scheduled miles: 19.
Actual miles: 17.12.
Cross training workouts: 2.

I miss my father frequently but I feel it most terribly this time of year, but I'm so grateful that he instilled in me a love of learning, curiosity, intellectual integrity, the habit of keeping some sort of journal, a love of opera, football, Monty Python, and swearing, and even eventually an ability to accept that I am a giant dork and that's just fine. Thanks for indulging me, readers, with a bit of a descent into the maudlin here.


7 comments:

  1. Aw, I wish I could reach through the computer and give you a hug right now... I am glad you have wonderful memories of your dad to reflect upon, but it's just so tough to lose someone so essential. I would have been a sobbing mess as well, so definitely keep giving yourself permission to cry on days when you are feeling down. I have been pretty down lately, for different reasons, and am hoping that my mood will improve as we shift into spring...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry this is a rough time of year for you, hopefully things will feel easier as we get closer to moving into spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was hardly maudlin -- you managed an impressive schedule this week, in a context that anyone would find really tough. I am surprised, myself, how my memories of my Dad can still catch me in tears, almost 13 years after . . . .Take care. February will be over, and meanwhile, you're taking charge of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to hear this is a rough time for you. Thank you for writing about it, though. February has so far been kicking my ass too (though for less tangible reasons), and it's helpful to hear that other runners/academics have the same struggles.

    One of my running girlfriends pointed out on Sunday that while the discipline and will to train are acheivements even on the best days, in the harder weeks and months they are truly a marker of strength and general bad-assery.

    Finally, your father sounds like he was a lovely man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my dear Raquelita. You are so very strong and lovely. It's so hard to lose a loved one, and sometimes the pain is surprisingly sharp. I'm sending you some peace and love through the interwebs, and I'm glad the memories of your father endure. It sounds like he was an interesting man and a great father. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello,

    I have a question about your blog, could you please email me? Thanks!!

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know that running in the snow is not always fun but it sure is beautiful! Good for you for getting the miles in even though it's so cold and wintery out there!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.