Friday, March 15, 2013

This and That, Odds and Ends

I have decided to "downgrade" to the half marathon at Vancouver. While I felt like I had a pretty strong half in San Diego, I just didn't (and don't) feel physically or emotionally ready or in a state of near-readiness for a full marathon in less than 2 months and with the pace of the semester that didn't (and doesn't) seem likely to change. Instead I'll be targeting a sub 2:20 half marathon, which may be something of a challenge for me due to the hills. I've taken something of a reverse taper this week, but will be back with a new plan for the upcoming weeks soon.

I'm also excited that my spouse will be coming with me to Vancouver, and we'll get to spend some time playing tourist, too!

Since we are currently on Spring Break, I hosted a two day mini writing retreat. It was great for a couple of reasons: my house is a lot cleaner than it was earlier in the week and I have made substantial progress on an article manuscript. I'm hopeful that I'll have a complete draft by the end of next week and then can spend some time polishing. I aim to have it sent out to a journal before the end of the first week of April.

My birthday is coming up on Sunday, and I really want to buy myself a pair of adorable open toed booties. Then I look outside at the snow that is likely to be on the ground for another few weeks and think about the mud that is to follow. Living in Alaska is an amazing adventure -- just not for my fabulous shoe collection.... I'm ready for it to be spring, but until then I'll go tubing. Also I'll go back to San Diego here and there in my mind....



Earlier this week I received the happy news that my sister is pregnant with her second child. I'm thrilled that I'll be an auntie again in the fall!

What's new with you?

16 comments:

  1. I think the marathon is almost a harder mental challenge than it is physical - mostly because logging all those miles during training is hard to do if you're not in the right head space. I don't know when I'll do another marathon - it's not the kind of distance you can just wing - but I'm happy to stick with half marathons for now.

    Your writing retreat sounds nice! I need to do that some time. Maybe right now - my thesis proposal is due in one month. Gulp!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true. It was almost the idea of the 18 and 20 mile training runs that just mentally exhausted me even more than the marathon itself right now. Since I usually work for several hours on Saturdays and Sundays too it just means that there is no ideal day for a long run.

      Delete
  2. M friends and I used to hold mini-writing retreats on an ongoing, revolving basis when we were nearing the end of our dissertation writing - it was such a great way to stay on top of things and actually produce. I bizarrely miss those!

    Courtney ~ http://sartorialsidelines.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I got hooked into a great interdisciplinary group of faculty and grad students that did this during my last couple of years in graduate school. I've tried to transport the model with me, but it's harder here as teaching loads are higher and service obligations make it hard to find a day during the week that works.

      Delete
  3. Open toed booties might not work in Alaska, but you can justify a totally fabulous BOOT collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd be surprised how boots start to lose their appeal when you feel like you have been/are/and will be solely limited to them.

      Delete
  4. good for you -- I'm on the verge of making the same decision, although I might even let the date pass completely without even doing the Half (did it a few years ago -- nice route, especially now that they're not doing the one horrendous hill through Stanley Park). . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh! I didn't even know I had now bypassed the terrible hill.

      Delete
  5. That is exciting that you are going to be an aunt again soon! How exciting!

    I can see why you downgraded to the half. I think it will be good for you and M to go to Van and really enjoy yourselves. Not that you can't enjoy yourself on a marathon trip - it's just different as you have to be more careful about not walking too much, etc. I LOVE Vancouver. I can't remember if you have been before? But you will love it! And I have ran a good chunk of the course and it's GORGEOUS!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited! I hope I'll be able to go down and visit soon after the baby is born.

      I think it'll be great to be able to enjoy the city a bit more without having to worry as much about staying off my feet before the race and not being able to move after it.

      Delete
  6. Congrats to you and your sister!
    Man, isn't it amazing how the semester can really knock you on your behind? I thought this semester would surely be manageable (and not even with Marathon training) but I was wrong. Somehow, I am losing this battle. Luckily, spring break is coming up. Glad to hear that you've been enjoying yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can understand - a full marathon is a *big deal*. It's not a distance to be taken lightly and I believe it takes longer than just one training cycle to really "get there" - at least that is my experience. If you don't feel it right now, it is wise to scale back until you feel it again rather than risk burnout or injury. You'll know when the "right" time is! And yay for becoming an auntie again! I wish my brother would make me one too ... *sigh* :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so jealous that you're going to Vancouver! I'd love to get there some day. Downgrading to the half makes a lot of sense.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's always good to listen to your body! Really looking forward to meeting you in Vancouver. I'll be doing the half as well so hopefully we can meet up at the starting line or the expo or something!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday!

    I think you are doing the right thing. If you don't feel ready, there is no reason really to overdo it. I think it's best to do what you are doing and to improve on your half, which by the way, hills or no hills, I think you can totally rock a 2:20. 2 minutes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy belated birthday (again), Raquelita! I still love hearing about your Alaska adventures, even as they pose challenges for your fashion sensibilities :-)

    I think a Vancouver half-marathon is going to be great for you. You are wise and smart to realize what you are capable of doing timewise. Happy running and I'm already looking forward to hearing about the next race.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.