Gosh. It's been ages (nearly two years) since I've written anything here! In part that's because I've been busy and felt like I needed to step away from the blog in order to focus on other writing. Since my last post, I've had a book come out, an article accepted, which has now appeared in print in a scholarly journal, and another book accepted for publication by an academic press. I'm closing in on revising it and sending it to my editor in the next couple of weeks. To be honest, though, that's not the only reason I haven't been writing here -- legitimate as it might be. Although I have continued to run as well as to write (finishing two more half marathons, including the one I was training for when things trailed off here, and a couple more shorter races), I've also continued to struggle with some emotional and mental health issues since moving to Alaska. It's probably not politic to say that here since I'm not yet tenured, but there you have it. For the past couple of years, I've found it too challenging to write a personal blog when I wasn't happy. It required too much of my energy just to do the stuff that I might write about when I was in that state.
But I'm back. Writing regularly and not just academically is something that I need to do. How public that writing should be is perhaps more debatable, but this space already exists, and I miss the community of bloggers. I'm training for a big race (more on that in a post in the near future); I'm starting to think about some new academic writing projects and some new ones that aren't academic; I'm planning for some great courses in the spring semester. I'm also determined not to let the dark beat me.
Welcome back! Congrats on getting the papers and book published. I could see where that would be very hard to do both "real" writing and fun writing at the same time. I know that when I was studying for my licensing exams, I did not blog very much at all. It was too difficult to get out a coherent thought after stuffing a bunch of information into my brain every day.
ReplyDeleteI don't know how I would handle the darkness... I know that right now, I make a lot of excuses for why I should not run, or go out, or do anything around the house....it's much easier to sit and read next to the heater than to do much of anything else these days! I am glad you are back and am happy to see how you are doing! Even if you just post once a month, sometimes it feels good to get things off your chest and to be part of the blogging community!
Welcome back!! It was great to see a post from you pop up in my reader! I have missed you!! Congrats on getting the paper and book published, and on being close to having another book published. That is an amazing accomplishment, lady!! So bravo!
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry to hear that you are going through a difficult time in terms of your emotional and mental health. That is very very difficult. I went through a period of depression when I was in my 20s and it was so God awful. I actually wrote about it in this post (http://lisasyarns.blogspot.com/2009/12/book-review-traveling-with-pomegranates.html). It's hard to open up and talk about mental health issues because there is still such a stigma around it. I mean I have absolutely no issues talking about my RA diagnosis, but talking about mental health feels more risky, which is sad because they should be viewed the same.
I hope that returning to this space is helpful for you. I'm looking forward to reading your posts and I will be keeping you in my thoughts...
Congrats on the book and the half marathons! I'm sorry to hear you've been struggling in other areas though. Been there, done that - I know it can be a hard hole to crawl out from. I hope you're finding a way to work through it and overcome the darkness.
ReplyDeleteI get not wanting to write when you're not happy. In my experience, I can write a LOT when I'm unhappy, but never feel like it's anything fit for sharing with the world. Or I don't want to deal with judgment. Or, if I'm feeling really down, I don't want people to try to cheer me up. I've been thinking of writing about some harder, darker times after the fact just to get it out, but am still unsure if and how I'd want to share things. In the meantime, my blog (which has moved) remains mostly fluff.
You're back! I'm sorry for the things that kept you away, but happy for all that you've accomplished in the meantime. :)
ReplyDelete