Thursday, April 21, 2016

Thursday Threads: Hamlet Tights

As a Hispanist and someone who has written a book (forthcoming in 2017 :)) about the prevalence  and importance of theater in the early modern Spanish Atlantic World, I sometimes indulge in a little biting my thumb at the Bard. While Lope de Vega would have totally bested him in a battle royal, in all honesty, I do also enjoy Shakespeare. My mother's background was in Speech and Drama Education so poetry and plays along with novels, and BBC and PBS (Doctor Who, Blackadder, and Mystery) were entertainment staples in the households of my youth. It's not uncommon for my mom and I to spend part of a vacation together rematching a series of Blackadder or a film adaptation of a Shakespeare play.

Dress - H&M, Cardigan - Target, Tights - Online Legging Store, Boots - Not Rated
When I saw that these tights were on sale a couple of months ago, I felt compelled to acquire them. I've worn them to teach in a couple of times, and I wore them last Friday for a day of meetings and events, mostly related to the presentation of and celebration of undergraduate research at my institution.

Now if only I could find Don Quixote or Don Gil de las calzas verdes (Don Gil of the Green Breeches) themed attire! In the meantime, I can sooth my inner Iberianist by drinking my morning coffee out of my Las Meninas mug. Do you have any literary themed clothing? How do you feel about Shakespeare?

I promise a training update next week, but the last few weeks of this semester have been a doozy. I've had to choose between getting in runs or blogging about getting in runs, and I've been choosing the former.

11 comments:

  1. Those tights are so cool! And I like them with a solid dress and solid sweater - they add a lot to the outfit :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those tights, they're so fun!! I don't have literary themed clothing but our Ragnar team was Dr. Seuss themed one year...not quite the same. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you got those tights -- I was thinking about buying some myself! Given that I work on England and Scotland up to 1700, I enjoy Shakespeare quite a bit (although Jonson and Middleton a bit more). Actually, I started studying history after a full on obsession and intense study of early modern English dramatists had sort of run its course and I got into an extension that. Weird how that works out.

    Courtney ~ Sartorial Sidelines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Middleton needs to be more people's jam. You should totally get these tights. Also we should start a campaign to get people to demand some more early modern writers from Litographs.

      Delete
  4. Those tights are very cute!

    I have a couple Harry Potter and Hunger Games Shirts, and when I was little I had a Sor Juana Inez De La Cruz shirt that I loved! Sor Juana is my feminist hero!

    I miss the days when there were only a few channels on TV, and one had to find things like Les Miserable TV series or a Don Quijote Documentary to pass the time... this makes me want to cancel cable and make my son watch documentaries all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have yet to buy one of these shirts, but I love looking at them: http://www.litographs.com/collections/t-shirts/products/quixote-tee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have that shirt! My mom got it for me a couple of years ago, but she bought a unisex size instead a women's and it's huge on me so I wear it to sleep in. I should buy another smaller version for daily wear. :)

      Delete
  6. Those tights are so fun! I am a plain Jane; I don't have any literary clothing! I also do not really wear tights, since we are not really required to, living in a place where the temps are pretty steady year round.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those tights are so cute! I love it when you share outfits. The only literary outfit I have is a shirt that says read all over it. I tend to wear it on the weekends. It's super comfy too.

    I am not a big fan of Shakespeare actually... I haven't tried reading him as an adult so maybe I should give him another try but I remember not enjoying reading his works in high school...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.