After the marathon I opted not to run again until Saturday when I logged 6.5 slow and easy miles with a few walk breaks with some members of the TNT Fall team. I went for a gorgeous hike on Monday with a friend and her new Irish Setter puppy to Rabbit Lake (pictured below). Yesterday, I joined my friend Heather and her dog for a few easy miles on the trails near our neighborhood. With so little to say about running right now, I thought I would do a currently post to catch ya'll up on a few things, including a proud professor moment and a fabulous fundraising event.
Current Netflix/TV Obsession: We've been watching the latest season of Orange is the New Black. It still has great moments, but it seems like this season isn't quite as good so far.
Current Food Journaling Progress: I feel like a broken record, but I'm really trying to get back on track with this one. I embrace the idea that exercise is not a punishment for what I consume and strive to remember that I am not the value of a number on the scale or a size on a label. But I'm also trying to take to heart that adage that you can't outrun/out-train bad nutrition. Over the past couple of months, I've developed some bad habits surrounding my eating choices, and they've started to effect my overall feelings of well-being in addition to making my pants feel on the tighter side. For the next few weeks I will focus on journaling, better judgment when it comes to portion sizes, and reducing my consumption of processed foods.
Currently Looking Forward To: I'm looking forward to the coming long weekend to spend a bit more time with my spouse and maybe go for a bike ride or a hike together. We'll stick close to town, but there are so many great spots nearby. Hopefully, it doesn't rain all weekend, but if it does I have lots of novel reading to do as a back up plan....
Current Book: I swear with library books I'm either awash in an embarrassment of riches I won't have time to finish before they're recalled or am 10th on the waiting list for everything I want to read. Right now I have more books than I know what to do with checked out from the library, but I'll need to return the physical ones before I leave for Europe so I'm having to read strategically. I'm in the middle of The Moor's Account by Laila Lalami and am also (re)reading Don Quixote in Spanish. There's also currently a collection of academic essays on my desk that I need to review for an academic journal. I want to get that finished before I leave.
Current Drink: While red wine and coffee are always my standbys, I've really been enjoying margaritas here lately. After a run and with salt on the rim, they can really hit the spot.
Current Excitement: I've begun the countdown to my upcoming trip to the archives in Spain and a conference in Belgium. I'm stoked to return to a city that I love, to be in the archives, to see good friends, and to go to my Madrid yoga studio. Also I've never been to Bruges so I'm really excited about getting to explore the city and drink a lot of Belgian beers!
Current Fashion Trend: I like that sports logos are in this summer as that means I can go places right after a run without looking off trend. I kid, I kid! Mostly....
Current Love: I love texting with my running friends.
Current Food: As part of my efforts to start making small changes that contribute to better health and nutrition for training and life in general, I've got a big pot of lentil and veggie soup crocking at the moment. I'm planning on eating it for lunch every other day for the next week or so.
Current Indulgence: Last week I finally splurged and replaced my fitness tracker that went missing about a year ago with a new Fitbit Alta. It's small enough that I can wear a regular watch with it if I want to do so. It reminds me to get up after I've been sitting too long. It also seems to be a lot more accurate with regards to sleep monitoring than my Up Jawbone was.
Currently Pondering: The logistics of packing for 5 weeks and if I can fit a day in Cologne into my itinerary are things currently on my mind.
Current Mood: I've been feeling pretty proud the past few days. One of my former students (now graduated) has had an article based on his senior seminar paper that he wrote for my class accepted for publication in an academic journal. I'm thrilled for him!
Current New Find: This isn't a good one. We recently discovered a group of wasps building a giant nest under our deck where we keep our grill. The discovery came about ten minutes before a pretty major event we were hosting began and led to a great deal of consternation and scrambling. Because the nest is in a hard to reach spot I have a feeling we'll be shelling out some cash to get rid of it.
Current Outfit: I'll show you, if you'll forgive the poor quality of the cheesy mirror shot.
Current Peeve: This is not exactly a peeve, but I get really annoyed with my inability to efficiently grocery shop. I made three mistakes on my last outing: 1) going to a different store that has a completely different layout so it took me forever to find anything 2) allowing the hunt to drag on and distract me from my list and 3) forgetting things on my list. All of this means I will need to do another run to the store in the next day or two so that I can make the baked goods I plan to sell at a booth at the market this weekend as a fundraiser for TNT.
Current Song: "Lost Boy" by Ruth B is a beautiful song that I don't mind the radio over-playing for right now.
Current Triumph: My friend Heather and I hosted a fundraising event at my home last Thursday. I was humbled and amazed that so many artists, businesses, and friends donated goods, services, gift cards, and their dollars. Thanks to them, we raised almost $3000 and took an even split of $1420 for our two non-profits (Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and Crohn's & Colitis Foundation of America). The success of this fundraiser (which sadly I don't have any pictures of because I was frantically rushing around -- in part due to the unexpected discovery of the wasps' nest under the grill that forced us to grill at our wonderful next door neighbors') means that I can continue to fundraise but will be much less stressed about the logistics of doing so while I'm in Europe.
Currently Delaying: I'm procrastinating from working on that book review. It's not due for another few weeks, but, as I mentioned previously, I would like to get it done before I leave on my research trip as I want to pack as few physical books as possible. This may or may not be so as to leave room for me to buy books from Marcial Pons. So I guess I should stop dilly-dallying and do some work.
What are you currently reading? What is currently making you feel triumphant? Are you good at grocery shopping?
That's so awesome that your student's paper got published! You should be proud as I know you had a hand in making that happen and encouraging him to attempt to get it published!
ReplyDeleteI'm currently reading the Steve Jobs biography, which is very interesting and has been a faster read than I was anticipating. Being able to bike and walk around make me feel triumphant! And I'm fairly good at grocery shopping. I definitely make a list and try to do something to indicate which items are produce as I start there and it helps to be able to easily see what all I need to buy from that section. I'm sure my grocery shopping strategy could be optimized, though!
Congrats on raising so much money at your fundraiser! Sounds like it was a fun night! And thank goodness you could grill at your neighbors and didn't have to risk a run in with those dang wasps.
Thank you, Lisa! I encouraged him to take a shot and gave him some editorial suggestions, but he was the one who really did all the work.
DeleteHooray for walking and biking! I had a feeling that you would have an efficient shopping method. The marking things with their section idea is genius.
I love love love the current outfit. Every time I see that skirt, I secretly plot stealing it! I really enjoyed the format of this post. I might integrate something like this in my blog ...
ReplyDeleteIf my skirt goes missing, I'll know where to look.... Feel free to borrow the format. I got it from several other bloggers, including the lovely Lisa who commented above, a couple of years back.
Delete