This semester has been inexplicably busy, and I've hardly had time to catch my breath since it started. As a result I haven't posted in weeks and I'm just a few days away from the Chicago Marathon. In fact, I leave on my trip this evening because I'll be giving an invited lecture at another university on Thursday, visiting colleagues and friends in Madison on Friday, and then heading back to Chicago for race weekend.
My only goal for Chicago is to finish. After Seattle, I briefly entertained the idea that I might be able to PR a second time this year since Chicago is flat, and it will undoubtedly be an energetic course. Since then, I slogged through training while traveling. After I got back home, things looked promising for a week or two and then I started dealing with some niggling IT band issues again. While the problem thankfully isn't as severe as the similar injury I had back in 2011 when I DNS'ed Chicago, I have had to dial things back a bit. This hasn't been the worst thing as I've been expending a lot of energy on work these past few weeks.
You never know how things might feel on race day. Things could magically come together, and I'm not discounting that possibility. However, I will toe the line with no time goal in mind and just focus on having an amazing experience whatever that means that day. One of my dear friends from college whom I haven't seen in several years is going to be in the same corral as me so we are going to try to see each other at the start of the race. She's been training like a bad ass in Texas heat so she'll probably leave me in the dust pretty quickly, but it will be good to see her even if it's just for a few minutes before the fun begins. I think most people on my Team are in corrals ahead and the corral behind me, but hopefully I'll make some friends to chat with along the course. I have miles dedicated to amazing friends and family members who have supported me on this fundraising and training journey.
Now I just have to pack, prep my talk, and pick up a few doses of Emergen-C.
I think that it's good to have the goal of just enjoying the race (well, as much as you can enjoy 26.2 miles) and soaking up the experience. It's such a high energy course that is well-spectated so that should help you push through! Enjoy the next several days of activity - sounds like you'll be super busy!! Good luck on Sunday! I'll be thinking of you!!!
ReplyDeleteSounds like the perfect attitude, and I'm so impressed that you're managing a second marathon in a year, besides all that you do career-wise. Can't wait to hear how it goes, but know that I'll be cheering you on from France.
ReplyDelete