Thursday, July 8, 2010

July Writing and Running Goals: Week 1

You may remember that I set some fairly lofty writing goals for this month, especially considering that I will be honeymooning and moving this month.  The goals as I set out for the month were:

*Finish the dissertation revisions by July 8
     - 5+ hours of revisions every day until it's done, starting 7/2 ✓-
     - 3+ hours of revisions the afternoon/evening of July 1 ✓+
*Finish the manuscript transcription edits by July 27
      - 1+ hour of edits a day from 7/5 to 7/8 and from 7/22-7/27

*Keep a Travel Journal while in Italy
*Send four cards or postcards

Since setting them, I talked to the person that I'm co-editing the manuscript with, and since he is out of the country for the entire month and is aware of my situation, we decided to push that project back to August/September.

Last Thursday I spent several hours revising.  Then I spent 5+ hours revising on Friday, Saturday, Monday, Tuesday, and yesterday.  On Sunday I felt ill all day.  I had a massive headache and I couldn't bring myself to stare at word documents at all.  So I didn't quite meet that goal, but I came close.  I'll be putting in at least five hours today.  I'm getting close to be done with everything except reformatting and trying one more time to insert a map without losing my sanity.  I'll save those couple of tasks for after I return from Italy.

 (My writing desk in a much cleaner state than it currently is in.)

This past week I wrote a couple of thank you cards for various things and popped them in the mail this morning, so I'm confident of meeting my goal of sending out four cards or post cards.  Finally, I'm taking a notebook with me to Italy tomorrow, so hopefully, I'll be dedicated to journaling some of the events of this honeymoon.

I also set a goal to run 65 miles in the month of July.  After my 8 miler this morning, I've run 20.4 miles so far.

Now I'm off to make some lunch, get to revising, and packing.  I guess I should also do some cleaning if I want my friend who is housesitting for us not to despise us.  :)

How are you coming along with your goals, running, fitness, or life-wise?  

3 comments:

  1. Your writing desk is adorable. Pleasant surroundings are immensely helpful in the writing process, I'm finding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like things are progressing well in your goals. There's no way I'd be able to look at documents for hours if I had a headache either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've made great progress with your goals! Now have a wonderful honeymoon in Italy and don't give anything else a thought until you return :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.