While I was in Italy, I was able to accomplish two of my writing goals. I kept a travel journal. While I didn't write in it daily, I did record my thoughts, impressions, and memories six times -- so an average of every other day more or less. It felt good to write like that again. It had been months since I'd written anything just for myself. I'm so used to writing for an academic audience or blog readers, and I enjoy both of those activities greatly, but it was very freeing to write something that nobody else will read. I also sent four postcards. Since I had sent three thank you notes before we left, I consider my card writing goal accomplished and then some for the month of July.
So for my writing goals that just leaves finishing the dissertation revisions. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get through the last round of revisions before we left. It feels like this project will never be over, even though I defended successfuly over a month ago now..... I will be working in hour long blocks -- revise an hour, pack an hour -- today and tomorrow. Hopefully, that will give me a couple of hours to spend on Sunday reformatting and then I will drop it off on my advisor's desk on Monday so he can sign off when he returns from abroad week after next.
I set the goal of running 65 miles in July. Before I had left for Italy, I had run 20.4 miles. I fully expected that I would run at least 12 miles while we were there. I ran three. Considering that we are moving next Wednesday and will spend two days on the road to get to our new little city, I'm pretty sure that 65 miles isn't going to happen. Why didn't I run those 12 miles in Italy? Well, it feels like it's about 50% honeymoon laziness and 50% self-sabotage. It really wasn't convenient to run in Venice, and since I value my life I hadn't planned to run in the streets of Rome (we weren't staying anywhere near a park while there). But I really could have done three or four miles in Siena. I had planned to, but then as I went to bed I begin making excuses not to run: I would get lost, the streets were too narrow, it as too hilly, I didn't want to get up at 6am on my honeymoon, etc., etc. So I didn't run. The next morning, when I saw two women running at around 9am, I knew I had missed out. Siena was so gorgeous, and I wish I had experienced it as a runner.
At least I got a work out climbing to the top of the Torre del Mangia.
Between the lack of running in Italy and the impending move, I'm pretty sure that takes a marathon off of the schedule for me this fall -- unless I can find a convenient marathon to run in November or December. To be honest, though, I'm not sure if that makes me feel deflated or relieved. Training for a marathon, in my experience, is physically and emotionally draining, but mainly just so time consuming that it makes keeping up with other aspects of life difficult. Running a half in August and one in October doesn't seem so daunting. It also doesn't seem as exciting....
How do you deal with setbacks in your goals and planning? Do you find it easy to train while traveling? What are your tips?
I love seeing the pictures from your trip. Sounds like you have an awful lot going on right now so why stress yourself out more with the marathon. You don't want training to feel like a chore or that will make you hate it. Half marathon is still a challenge!!
ReplyDeleteGreat photos! I don't think you should feel too badly about taking it easy on your honeymoon. I think that's pretty much required!
ReplyDeleteRight now my current setback is a new puppy. When I have to choose between my training and his training, the answer is clear, as his habits will last a lifetime and I can afford a few weeks of slacking. :)
Thanks for the encouraging words, ladies!
ReplyDeleteI think we need to be friends;-) My husband is uber italian and my blog is about goals for the week. Whaddya think;-)
ReplyDeleteTwo half-marathons=a whole. I know that's not entirely true but I think you should cut yourself some slack. You and your hubs both just finished and defended your dissertations, you taught at two institutions AND you got married this year and you are on your honeymoon! I think the fact that you ran at all is more than admirable.
ReplyDeleteThough I know what you mean. I just returned from my conference/research trip to London and I packed my running gear because I fully intended to do the morning 10k runs to Regents Park that I did when I lived there. But I got sick and couldn't manage it and it was unseasonably hot. I beat myself up about it in the airport on the way home, but to what end? Stuff gets in the way and running, for me at least, is supposed to be my bit o' fun. You've had an awesome year already. Save the marathon for next year.