It really helped me in July to see my writing goals and evaluate how I was progressing every week, so I've decided to continue posting about them here. Because our belongings only arrived yesterday and we're still waiting on our new furniture, including the desk, to be delivered (allegedly tomorrow), and a fair amount of my time will be spent unpacking and organizing, my goals this month will be pretty modest.
At least the kitchen and dining area are mostly under control after a couple of hours of work last night. (We still want a small table for the kitchen, though.)
Anyway, on to the writing goals:
*Edit a friend's chapter by August 5th
- I've already done about half of it, so I'm going to spend a couple of hours today and tomorrow and if necessary the day after to finish this
* Write a book review for an academic journal in my field
- I have the book and the deadline for this is the end of this month, so I need to get started on this on Monday, as well, if not before.
* Syllabi and Lectures
- The semester starts on Aug. 23, so I need to get this under control ASAP. I've already started working on my syllabi for two of my courses and their almost done. I'll work some more on this here and there in between unpacking boxes beginning today. I need to expand a couple of lectures and write a couple of new ones for two of the classes and I need to write quite a few new lectures for my other course because it's the first time I've taught it.
* Manuscript transcription edits
- This had initially been on the docket last month, but the person I'm co-editing with was abroad and it was easier to wait until this month to get started. I'm going to work an hour or two every other day on this starting next Monday. This project will probably spill over into September.* Send four cards or letters
- Sending cards and postcards made me really happy last month, so I think I'll keep this goal for this month too.
What's on your agenda for August? Do you have any writing or work-related goals that you're working toward?
I'm so glad you're still posting monthly writing goals! I'll be posting mine later today. I will say that will also be of the modest variety, as this is already shaping up to be a crazy month. All the more reason to have a few tangible, clear goals to keep me focused!
ReplyDeleteOh, and sending cards and postcards is such a sweet goal.
I have SO many writing goals! Isn't it sad how long it takes to make progress on things sometimes? At least I feel efficient in the running/athletic realm! :)
ReplyDeleteSeeing your writing goals makes me wanna...write! I wanna take the plunge and broaden my writing palate
ReplyDeleteI do not have any writing goals other than posting in my blog twice a week:) Honestly, I have not written a paper in about a year. I am currently a student at the University of Minnesota. I took the last two terms off to take a much needed break and to run more:)
ReplyDeleteYou have several things on your writing plate and that is fantastic:) Good luck to you!
I have some translations and editing to work on over August vacation, but that's work stuff. My writing goals for the next month are to finish the story I'm working on now and start the next one.
ReplyDelete