Saturday, August 14, 2010

Cycling Misadventures

On Wednesday, I was thrilled to finally be able to ride my bike into campus!  I love riding my bike, and I hadn't had a chance to ride since before the move.  While I was on campus I had some errands to run, including getting an ID made, getting keys to my department and departmental office, gaining library access, checking out some library books, and figuring out how to print and get copies made at my institution.  It was hot and humid, but the air flow created by moving quickly on my bike made it bearable.  It was far less enjoyable by foot, as I quickly found out. 

When I went to leave campus and bike home, I realized that the key to my bike lock was missing from my key ring.  I searched through my bag; I went back to my office and searched my desk, shelves, and floor; I retraced my steps;  I visited several lost and founds on campus.  My key wasn't anywhere.  Finally, I called my husband to see if he could bring me my spare bike lock key.  Since we had just moved, he had no idea where it was and I didn't either. 

He came to campus and picked me up.  Did I mention that I left my cell phone at home that day?  So finding each other was a bit of an adventure, as well, and I spent some more time broiling in the heat.  We went home and began looking for my spare key.   While we were searching, I was envisioning never getting my bike unlocked or worse that I would get back to campus with the key the next day and it would have been stolen.  I eventually found it in a small box of flash drives and memory cards and miscellanea on my writing desk.

We returned to campus and retrieved my bike.  This misadventure ended well, and I figure that it did because of good bike kharma.  You see, when I was in Florence, I really wanted to steal this bike:
But I resisted the urge.  My own bike might not be as cute as a purple cruiser, but I love her.
She has been my companion for several years.  Do you ever commute by bike?  What do you see as the advantages and disadvantages to cycling to work?  Have you ever lost the key to your lock? 

6 comments:

  1. That purple bike is outrageous! I can see why you wanted to steal it. I wish I could commute to campus, I live hardly a mile away. Unfortunately there is one big, bag, ugly highway/intersection between us. The good news is the The local Rails-to-trails is expanding the current trail and hopefully by early next year it will be down the street and afford easy access to the campus. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really looking forward to getting my bike. I don't live that far from where I work and I think it would be great for cross training. The only down fall is that I would most likely need a shower:( I love your bike...love the basket too! Enjoy your weekend. We are leaving for vacation tomorrow...no computer! Will I live? Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I ever get married I am totally decorating my bike in purple chiffon. That is brilliant! Wait a minute. Why wait to get married?

    Sorry for the key drama--moving is so discombobulating! My first day in my new apartment I locked myself out when I greeted the mailman at my door. Since then locking myself out is a fairly regular occurrence that once entailed borrowing a ladder from a painter next door, climbing onto my balcony and entering through a window. I'm certain the neighbours are talking about me.

    I do ride my Schwinn Five-Star Cruiser to campus but the weather only comfortably permits this for a couple of months in the fall. It's very rainy/icy/snowy here regularly. And during the summer I've had the use of a colleague's car and I have been very lazy about cycling. The thing is, I often bring my laptop to campus to work on (research is on a Mac, school computer is a PC) and I am not comfortable riding with my laptop. I can be fixed for free (in Canada) if I fall off my bike, but my laptop is way more precious cargo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Purple bike is fabulous!! Makes me wonder if I should decorate mine. I recently moved out to the country in Southern California and while we have many that cycle the roads out here to train for races. I tried once to go up and down the mountain of our road and I ended up walking my bike. And I am by no means out of shape...I just have never road on such an incline..... And boy did it tax my Asthma...But before our move when we lived in Miami I rode my bike everywhere and I even had all my kids riding along as well. We loved it. We blogged all the time about our bike adventures I will never forget them. I put a nice big basket on the front of my bike. And it is just such good exercise. I miss our riding adventures for sure. I think this week I will find some where flat to ride my bike. ~Happy Trails to you ~Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad to hear that you are settling in and that you can still bike to campus! I cannot get over how cute your cyclist dress is! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That purple bike is out of control. I would love to bike to work. Sadly, I have a highway commute and live 40 miles away. Boo :(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.