In the - column:
- Saying goodbye to a place that's been home for seven years and good friends is hard. I know that we will visit and that Facebook and blogs and the phone will keep us close, but it is still really difficult. I haven't really met anyone in my new town yet, so I'm feeling a little bit isolated. M. and I have been taking turns running little errands just to get out of the house.
- We are here and our place is great, but I do wish we didn't have to wait another day or so for our things to arrive. I still have to unpack and organize everything once it does, but right now there's not much to do. There's not even much I can work on because I don't have certain files and books, and it's not very comfortable to work in a captain's chair. I'm feeling a little listless.
- In spite of having visited places with carpet in the past, Bailey decided that this carpet (and that of our friends whom we stayed with on Wednesday night) is like grass.... After I busted her in the act and gave her a lecture, she seemed to get the hint that carpet is not in fact grass. We're having to maintain constant vigilance, though, until she gets more settled in....
- Since we don't have any cookware or dishes, we've been eating out all week. I'm all for the occasional Panera lunch or pizza, but it's been a week now since I've felt really in control of my eating destiny. I started counting points and watching portions again today, though.
In the + column:
+ I finished revisions before we left and dropped everything off on Monday. Thus, I accomplished my (revised) July writing goals.
+ I'm only a couple of blocks from an urban bike path and there are apparently several paths and trails in and around town. I'm excited for checking them out and exploring new running routes! I also made contact with a newly-formed women's running group in town, and hopefully I'll at least have one social run a week and meet some people through that.
+ Having a deck is going to completely revolutionize my home yoga practice. I don't feel like I can afford joining a yoga studio here until I've received a paycheck or two and the furniture and the move are paid off, but the deck + my yoga mat + yoga podcasts + morning sunshine = bliss.
+ We went and checked out our local farmers' market yesterday. It's only a couple of blocks away from our townhouse. It's not as large as the one in my previous location, but there were a variety of vendors and some amazing looking vegetables. Optimistic that our ABF truck will arrive tomorrow (please, please let it happen!), we bought some sweet corn and some squash.
+ Abbi over at Higher Miles has put together a blogging support group for first-time (or feels like the first-time) half-marathoners and marathoners. I'm excited to be part of the Distance Dreamers!
+ It was perfect timing, too, because I just registered for the San Antonio RnR Marathon on November 14th! Wheeee!!!! And ack!!!! I'm a little nervous because that's only fifteen weeks away. I looked at some training schedules and decided on a slightly modified version of the Hal Higdon's Novice Plan that I used to train for my marathon last year. More on that later, though.
How was your weekend? What did you do?
It always takes a little time to adjust after a move. Hang in there:) I think it is great that you might be joining a newly formed running group! I really think that might be a nice way to meet new people...bonus...they are runners too! I love Farmer's Markets! You are so lucky to have one just a few blocks from where you live:) Enjoy your upcoming week!
ReplyDeleteWow. That was a busy week! It sounds like you're adjusting well to the move, even if you feel a little listless and lonely. The running group sounds cool, and I'm jealous of all your new trails!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the mention and congrats for registering for the marathon!! Hope training goes well, sounds like it'll be great with the new running group. Hope you get settled into your new place soon!!
ReplyDeleteYou might want to try a large children's play fence for Bailey until she gets used to the carpet - it helped so much when we were potty training Watson because it allowed us to leave the room for a few hours without worrying about him walking around and.. well, you know. Best of luck!
ReplyDelete@Scuttleboose, thanks for the suggestion. Bailey is a tough case because of her separation anxiety, so even though she's crate trained we haven't wanted to push her limits too much until she's settled in a bit more. My guess is there will be another period of adjustment when the furniture, etc. arrives in the next couple of days....
ReplyDelete