As I set about looking for a training schedule that will enable me to run 26.2 miles in fifteen weeks, I've been wondering about how other people strategize to fit in their long runs. If you're spending an hour or more running on a given day, it can be tricky to fit that in, especially if hot weather or work schedules overtake large sections of your day. What day of the week do you find typically works best for you for your long runs? Do you usually run solo or with a group?
Last summer and fall I usually ran my long runs on Sundays. So far this summer I've just gotten them in where I can. I'm wondering if maybe Fridays wouldn't be better for me over the next few months....
As you probably know, Christina and I (and Autumn) would normally do them on Saturday. I'm not sure that the day matters as much as recognizing that you probably won't get much else done on whichever day you choose. I always looked forward to long runs, because I knew that day was, somewhat ironically, my day of rest from academic things. Sure I ran 16 or 18 miles, but the only other things I had to do that day were eat Mexican food and go grocery shopping. Those runs and Saturdays kept me sane; I am convinced of it.
ReplyDeleteI've done Sundays, but my preference us Saturday long runs. Early Saturday morning then I've got the entire weekend for recovery and fun. (and refueling - yum!)
ReplyDeleteWhen I ran on Sundays I felt like it dominated my whole weekend. Saturdays were spent hydrating, resting, planning, getting to bed early. But then, it was my first marathon too.
Find the day that works best for YOU!
I'm thinking Saturdays are going to work best for me... I actually wrote all my runs out on a calendar so I can cross the days off as I go. It's the little things that are motivating! :)
ReplyDeleteSaturday is the ONLY day that works for me. Work M-F at 6:30 a.m. and church on Sunday. That doesn't leave many options.
ReplyDeleteSaturday! That way it's over with for the rest of the weekend and I can get in an easy recovery run on Sunday.
ReplyDeleteIf I know I'll be busy on Saturday I try to do the LR on Friday evening.
You just have to run on the day that best fits your schedule. I have done some of my long runs on both Saturdays and Sundays. I have also done a few on Wednesdays because that is my day offduring the week. You will start your training and figure out what works best for you:) This is pretty exciting...kicking off marathon training! Good luck!
ReplyDeleteAs always, thanks for commenting on my blog. Long runs... I usually do them alone, but I max out at ~14 miles so it isn't terrible. I run on Sunday mornings because my beloved Saturday morning runs needed to be bumped to Sunday so I can work on Sats. I think that running a full marathon would be the push I need to get into a running group. GL finding what works best for you.
ReplyDeleteI usually do saturdays, but lately I've been doing sundays and just relaxing the rest of the day. Just depends on what the weekend looks like! I work in a school, so over the summer I have the freedom to fit my long runs in any day of the week. It just depends on your schedule and how you feel. A marathon in 15 weeks is totally doable, especially if you have the base going into the training.
ReplyDeleteI have to say, I really think Sunday's are best for long runs. I love getting up a little early on Sunday's and getting out on the road, then you can come home and enjoy a great breakfast and relax for the rest of the day :)
ReplyDeleteI do most of my running alone, or I run the first half with my boyfriend before he pulls ahead (he's much faster than me). And because I have a typical M-F, 8-5 work week, I always do anything over 10 miles on the weekend, as 10 is the most I can run in the morning without being late to work. I prefer Sunday, but if I have plans, know I'll be out late on Saturday, etc, I am fine with either day. The important thing is getting them done!
ReplyDeleteI do my long runs on Saturday. Every other Saturday I run with a group...that's not to say that I run with someone in the group...we just all start together and then I usually end up running by myself because we all seem to have different paces. There have been a couple of times that someone from the group ran with me and it definitely seemed to make the time go much quicker :) On the other Saturday I run by myself, without music...I recently heard that they call this naked running? when you run without music or Garmin/watch...
ReplyDelete