Sunday, August 8, 2010

Weekly +/- VII

In the - column:

- My ipod is broken.  You may have read this before.  Well, before we left for Italy, the Apple Store near us replaced my nonfunctioning ipod with a refurbished one.  It worked for two or three weeks.  Then I went to use it after we moved and nothing.  It has the same problem that the other one had.  It will only function when connected to a power source.  Ummm... yeah... not so good for running.  So I'm back to using my old ipod with the random stopping issues again.

- I am in HR limbo.  My new university has not processed all my paperwork, so I am not yet in the system. This means I can't get university email or library access or be issued keys to my office on campus.  And I need library books and want to set up my office and get my students' readings that are going to be on electronic reserve on electronic reserve.  But I can't do these things ... yet.

- We are still waiting for our dishes to arrive from Bed Bath & Beyond.  After more than a week, my order is "still being processed"....  I would like to eat a meal off of something besides cheap picnic plates.

- The brake on the back wheel of my bike got broken in the move.

In the + column:

+ The brake was an easy fix, and I'll be biking into campus this week!  Yay!  I love to ride my bike!

+ We have our furniture, kitchen appliances, and other belongings,  And most of it is put away and in order.  Being able to cook makes me feel so much more at home.

+ I met a couple of my colleagues and a couple of the librarians at the university this past week.  They all seem very nice and hopefully I can call them friends before long.

+ We printed and framed a bunch of pictures from our honeymoon.  I can't even explain how happy it makes me feel when I look over at the wall above our love seat and see them.  I remember all the gelato and wine and relaxation and fun times.

+ I'm making some slow progress on my writing goals.  And I even am starting to feel like I want to work again.  The brain-fog inducing moving stress is starting to dissipate, and I'm starting to feel the hum of energy that always accompanies the beginning of the fall term for me.  

+ Week one of marathon training is in the books.  I also booked my ticket to San Antonio.  I'll get to celebrate my awesome sister's birthday (slightly belated) in person for the first time in years and run my second marathon in November!  Whoo hoo!

What's been one of the positives in your life this past week?  Any home improvement projects completed?  New recipes mastered?  State fairs attended?  Races run?

5 comments:

  1. Well, it sounds like you have a good balance of pluses and minuses going! I hope some of those minuses disappear for you next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like there are definitely more pluses than minuses this week so looks like a good week to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey girl! I'm so glad to have found your blog. Boo to the ipod being busted! There are some great pluses though! I'm looking forward to following along with your training :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to see those pictures from your amazing honeymoon:) Woo hoo for getting your house all organized and feeling more like being at home! Also, I think it is great that you are meeting some of your fellow teachers and making friends! Hopefully you will find someone who likes to run as much as you:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.