Sunday, August 29, 2010

Weekly +/- X

In the - column this week:

- So the point of having a marathon training schedule is ... ummmm ... that you consult it and follow it.  Instead of actually doing that this week, I just went off of what I thought I remembered it saying.  I knew my mid-week mileage was a bit lower than it should have been because of adjusting to being back in the classroom and a lot of meetings the first week of the semester.  That wasn't such a big deal. However, I thought I was supposed to run 11 miles for my long run.  I only ran 10.2.  Since I was actually supposed to run 12, I felt like a total slacker after I got home yesterday and saw that I had misremembered the called for mileage.  D'oh!

- Thursday sucked.  I forgot my laptop powercord at home.  The technology failed to work in one of my classrooms.  I almost wiped out on my bike because I forgot to cuff the legs of my pants.  I locked my keys in my office and the administrative assistant had to let me back in to get them.  I was the embodiement of the absent-minded professor. 

- Today is graduation.  I would have very much like to have been there and to have been hooded by one of my PhD supervisors.  Alas, I am hundreds of miles away and couldn't afford to make the return trip.  I know that it doesn't detract from my accomplishment, but I would have liked to have had my accomplishment celebrated more than it has been.

In the + column:
Beautifully landscaped lawn passed on my way to one of the trails
+ I received my first paycheck!  Although it was pretty small because it was only for two days (my start date hit right toward the end of a pay period), I was so relieved that it seems like everything was processed correctly and that I am actually getting paid.

+ My friend -S- and I went running together Thursday evening.  It seriously brought me back from the edge after the shitty day that I'd had.  I do most of my running alone, but I really enjoy having a running partner or going with a group at least once or twice a week.  We chatted about our classes and running, and she pushed me to run a little bit faster than I probably would have if I'd been left to my own devices that afternoon. 
Two pairs of feet are sometimes better than one!
+ My other blog turned one year old this past week! 

+ I always love the start of the fall term.  I have always associated it with things that I love: back to school shopping, the smell of new notebooks, football, cooler mornings, the promise of a new academic year in which so many things can be accomplished.  I'm liking my students; my colleagues are fantastic; and I've been enjoying riding my bike to and from campus on an almost-daily basis. 
Beautiful running scenery
How has your week been?  What's been one of your pluses this week?

7 comments:

  1. i think my lazy ass would actually run if i had scenary like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I amend my training schedule on a weekly basis, which is why I stopped posting a schedule all together. And don't worry too much about the long run - 10 is not 12, but it is also not 5 or 0!

    My biggest plus this week has been the slightly cooler weather and this morning's ten mile run. I haven't hit the double digits since April! It's good to be back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay for running with a friend.

    my week sucked. plus was running yesterday with my group and the biggest plus is that my daughter is finally feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you aren't getting enough of a celebration, it's such a major accomplishment! I understand, I felt the same way about one of my degrees. I think family and friends experience degree-graduation overload. Sort of like when someone gets married 3 times and throws a big wedding each time, people get weddinged-out. Maybe you can walk in the December ceremony??

    I have barely made it to the pool but have been happy I did once I got there. Practices are getting hard and I'm having to amp up my speed. Never a bad thing. I admire your running dedication, I have to go to an organized practice to get going in a pool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thursday sounded like a killer day! You're not so far off your mileage--don't give it another thought.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Marisa, it does make running more enjoyable.

    @Chrissy, this is true. I just didn't get in all the miles I should have during my last lead up to a marathon and I suffered the consequences, so I want to be more careful this time.

    @Lisa, I'm sorry your week sucked! I hope this one is better!

    @Tina Z, I don't want to sound petty, but a small gift or even a card from my family members might have been nice.

    @misszippy, I'm looking to the week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so looking forward to fall, my favorite season!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.