Once when I was visiting a friend in Amsterdam, she made me a delightful dish of pasta with parsley, hazelnuts, and goat cheese. I decided a couple of nights ago to turn that memorable meal into a pesto with my Cuisinart.
First I toasted one cup of hazelnuts in the oven at 275 for 25 minutes (or until the skins start cracking), then I removed the skins.
I combined the following ingredients in my food processor:
1/2 cup of olive oil
1 cup of the toasted hazelnuts
1 cup of parsely
3 cloves of garlic
2 Tbsp of honey
Then I blended it until it was the proper consistency.
In the meantime, I put some asparagus -- coated in 1.5 Tbsp of Olive Oil, 1.5 Tbsp of Balsamic Vinegar, a shake or two of lemon juice, a shake of salt and some red pepper flakes -- in the oven to roast for about 25 minutes at 375. I also got my water boiling for the gnocchi.
I cooked the gnocchi according to the directions on the package, drained the water from the pot, and added about half of the parsley pesto to coat. I plated it up with some asparagus and generously sprinkled the gnocchi dish with some feta.*
Although I'm a huge fan of regular pesto and make it frequently, this was a lovely change up. What's your favorite type of pesto?
*I actually prefer feta to goat cheese. I know, I'm a loser. However, even I can attest that goat cheese would also complete this dish superbly.
I prefer traditional pesto too, but I did make it with fire-roasted red peppers once, and it was pretty tasty. There's probably no such thing as a bad pesto.
ReplyDeleteI never would've thought of hazelnut pesto though! What a great idea. How does it taste? Is it sweeter than other pestos?
I'm not a huge pesto fan, but I think because of the hazelnut I'll have to give this a whirl!
ReplyDelete@Anne, it is a bit on the sweet side, but it's more because of the addition of the honey than because of the hazelnuts.
ReplyDelete@Molly, I hope you enjoy it!
Oh.My.Gosh. Gnocchi, hazelnut and pesto... three of my favorite things! This looks fantastic! I must put this recipe into my kitchen arsenal.
ReplyDeleteOh that sounds fantastic! Thanks for sharing the recipe...gotta try it!
ReplyDeleteYum...this looks good. I'm usually just a traditional basil pesto fan. I'm actually not sure I've ever had hazelnuts before, other than just hazelnut flavored stuff! I'm a huge fan of both feta and goat cheese, nothing wrong with feta.
ReplyDeleteBelieve it or not, I have never tried pesto. The color turns me off. That, and Sophia's story on The Golden Girls about how pesto was originally invented as a salve for athlete's foot (or something equally as gross). :)
ReplyDeleteI bet the hazelnuts add so much flavor to this dish! Mmmmm...looks so good:)
ReplyDelete