This week has presented a few schedule challenges because I've had orientations to go to from early in the morning to late in the afternoon and several mixers to attend in the evening. I'm not a huge fan of running in the evening, but I've been doing what I can. Next week the dust should finally settle, and I'll hopefully have a mostly set schedule back into place.
Wednesday: 3 mile run (intervals) Splits: 10:48, 9:57, 10:39
10 lunges - I decided to start out gently and slowly, as lunges have been known to kick my ass.
Thursday: 5 mile bike commute. I should have run 3 miles, but I had to be on campus early for a new faculty orientation. When I got home around 5pm, I was feeling hot and dehydrated from too much bad coffee at the orientation and biking home in the heat. Since I just couldn't bring myself to go out in it and since I sold my treddy before the move and my new one hasn't arrived yet, I swapped my rest day.
Friday: 3 mile run (a couple of hills a couple of intervals) Splits: 10:26, 10:16, 12:15 (forgot to stop my Garmin at the traffic lights on the return)
12 lunges, 10 push ups, 70 crunches, stretching
Saturday: 7 mile run (long run) Splits: 11:22, 11:27, 11:27, 11:49, 11:34, 11:37, 11:41 - my goal was to stick around an 11:30 pace for this run, and I did. Average pace was 11:34.
Sunday: off - I got some mild cardio in doing some shopping.
Monday: 2 mile run at recovery pace. I met up with a group of ladies at a park here in town for a "casual run." It was nice. We chatted and ran at a nice easy pace. I hadn't run with a buddy since before we moved, so I really enjoyed having someone other than my Garmin for company on a run.
Tuesday: 5 mile bike commute
14 lunges
How do you deal with the challenge of having your regular schedule interrupted? When do you squeeze your workouts into a constantly shifting schedule?
It sounds like you juggled pretty well for the interruptions you had. I am a morning workout person but when I have a lot of things going on sometimes I have to squeeze it into an afternoon or evening. I think compound exercises are the best when your pressed for time. I have had great results with weighted compound exercises and have built some muscles since I have been doing them. For example in one set you would do say 7 lunges on your right leg and then 2 moving side squats to the left while your holding dumbells say 5 pounds....then you do 7 lunges with the left leg and do 2 moving side squats to the right...and keep decreasing the lunges till your down to singles and do a few sets of those. Great leg workout ;D Good Luck with your training!!
ReplyDeleteI'm ideally a morning runner, out in the neighborhood, but since we added a puppy to our family I've had to spend my mornings walking the dogs. It's too hot for them in the evenings, so I've been running inside, on the treadmill, at least until the weather dips below 95. Not ideal, but we do what we can!
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like your making all the right adjustments. Keep up the good work!
I rarely have an interrupted schedule. But usually I just get up SUPER early if I have to squeeze in a workout. Great job!
ReplyDeleteGreat job on juggling it all...I'm a creature of habit so when I'm thrown off, I typically just bag the workout!
ReplyDeleteI just barely got into a solid T & R swim workout schedule with a Sat morning bike. Still need to figure out how to fit in a few kettlebell sessions to round out my week. Funny how teaching and other obligations get in the way of running (or swimming in my case)!
ReplyDeleteMy life is crazy busy! I am always adjusting my training and it doesn't work out perfectly all of the time:) I just do the best that I can and roll with it! There have been times where I have had to skip a run and I always feel guilty. It seems like it turns out okay because we all need rest days too!
ReplyDeleteAwesome job on the workouts! I have been super tired as of late so I go to sleep with the intentions of getting my run in before work and it never happens. I'm traveling to visit friends this weekend and I'll get my run in while visiting. Ah well.
ReplyDelete