Wednesday, September 1, 2010

August in Review

My fitness goals in August were to log all the miles on my marathon training schedule, to do some yoga at least twice a week, to do lunges at least three times a week, and to stretch consistently after my runs.

I was a little bit short on my mileage.  My training plan had me slated to run at least 70-74 miles during the month of August.  I only ran 61.8 miles.  One of my long runs was short by about two miles, and during the week of new faculty orientation meetings and the first week of classes, I didn't run all of the mid-week miles that I should have.

I did do a good job of stretching after my runs and of meeting the lunges challenge requirement of doing lunges at least 3 times a week.

I was a little spotty on meeting my yoga goal.  I started off the month well, doing yoga twice a week during the first two weeks, but then I didn't do any yoga one week at all and the past week I only managed to get in one yoga practice. 

My writing goals were essentially the following:
- Edit a friend's chapter by August 5th ✔
- Write a book review for an academic journal in my field ✔
- Syllabi and Lectures ✔-
- Manuscript transcription edits
- Send four cards or letters ✔-

I finished editing my friend's chapter.  I wrote and sent off my book review.  I finished my syllabi, but I'm still scrambling to stay ahead with the lectures.  (I'm not behind, but I would like to have more of a cushion here.)  I sent only three cards this month, and I haven't even managed to get to the transcription edits at all. 

So I wasn't quite where I wanted to be with all of my goals.  All in all, though, August was a pretty good month.  I've done a fair amount of writing and some of it while seated at my new desk.
I've also made some new friends and running buddies.  I've started my new job as a faculty member. I've biked to campus and back a lot.  
I've made some delicious food.
And hopefully, September will be an even better month!

How was your August?

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a good month.

    Mine was "eventful"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that you did great this month considering everything that you had going on! Sometimes it is hard to stay on task with a training program due to busy schedules:)

    I love your desk:) Cute picture of you by your bike too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you win August! I have high hopes for September. I think it's going to be really productive for me, in both the writing and running categories. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ran just under 62 miles in August too! :) I love that you are rocking the helmet in that picture. I want to yell at people when they bike past me without a helmet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great month! You have a lot to be proud of! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.