Thursday, September 2, 2010

September Goals

While I didn't quite do all the things I wanted to in August or quite run all the miles I should have, it was a pretty good month overall.  I'm hoping to carry some of that momentum with me into this month.  I'm hoping for cooler temperatures for running and boots wearing and writing with the windows open!
My fitness and health goals for the month are pretty simple.

They are:
* Run 111 miles
* Continue to do core work 3 times/week
* Bike to campus at least once a week, as the weather allows (yes, I'm a fair weather cyclist due to lack of rain gear)
* Stretch and/or do some yoga after each run
* Eat more fruits and vegetables


Yesterday on my other blog I mentioned that I will be adding $20 to my monthly shopping budget for clothes and accessories every time I complete one of my five monthly writing goals.
My writing goals for September are:
* Spend at least five hours a week working on manuscript transcription edits for that co-edited project.  I have put it on the back burner for too long, and I need to get this thing off my desk before I end up rolling it over to yet another month.
* Revise and resubmit a journal article for publication.   I submitted an article a while back for publication and the journal's verdict was to revise and resubmit. 
* Write the plan for how I will meet my institution's required criteria during this academic year for submission to my department chair and dean.  Although this is more of a requirement than a goal, I didn't list lectures and class prep here, so I wanted to list something that I will definitely cross off the list to help me keep the momentum going.
* Update CV, teaching philosophy, job letters, etc. for this year's academic job market.  While I am grateful to be gainfully employed this year, my job is not tenure-track, so back onto the market I go.  I can only control what I can control, so that leads me to:
* Get together an outline for another article for publication or a conference paper abstract.  The job market being what it is, another forthcoming publication and a conference presentation or two this year are things that I will need to have on my CV if at all possible.

What's one of your goal's for the month of September?  What's on your agenda for the month?

5 comments:

  1. WOWOW!!! Running 111 miles is A LOT OF running! AMAZING! I just broke my foot (in two spots) on the weekend and now have a cast! lol! So..for my September, my goal is going to be bloggin and healing with my CAST and CRUTCHES!! haha
    xoThe Beckerman Girls

    http://BeckermanBitePlate.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, 111 miles is awesome! You go!

    Fitness-wise, my goal is to continue going to my gym at least 3 times a week. I've been on a pretty good streak lately, but I know if I cut myself any slack, I'll go back to having to "force" myself to exercise.

    I'd also like to take my dog on at least one 2+ mile walk each week. It doesn't sound like much, but it's hard to find the time sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your goals. 111 miles, huh? I'll be lucky to hit that with walking and running combined...

    ReplyDelete
  4. 111 miles! Great goal!
    And your writing goals are so focused and impressive as well. Good luck with the job market. Hearing about all these people with non tenure-track positions makes me nervous! Hope it works out, and quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great list of goals for Sept. It's great to make them manageable so you can actually achieve what you want to!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.