Usually when I get home from campus on Thursday evenings I am pretty wiped out from a week of teaching, meetings, paperwork, and trying to get in some mid-week miles and mid-week research and writing. Because of this, either my husband makes dinner on Thursday or I make something that doesn't require a whole lot of work or time in the kitchen. Yesterday I decided to make slow cooker mac & cheese. It requires about 20 minutes of prep work and then the occasional trip into the kitchen to check on things and stir, but it is a very easy meal.
First I boiled some elbow macaroni according to the package instructions. I used about 1/2 of a 32 oz package since my crock-pot is on the small side. While the pasta was boiling, I cut up some fresh broccoli and put it in the crock-pot. When the noodles were cooked to al dente, I drained them and added them to the slow cooker with the broccoli.
Then I stirred in the following ingredients:
1 egg lightly beaten
1 cup of sour cream (I used lite to mitigate some of the unhealthiness of this recipe)
1 1/4 cup of milk (I use 1%)
1 tsp of ground mustard
1 tsp of soy sauce
1 tsp of tabasco sauce
1 can of Campbell's cheddar soup (10 3/4 oz)
~3 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
~1/2 cup of shredded parmesan cheese
I put the lid on the crockpot and cooked the mac & cheese for about two and a half hours on low, stirring occassionally.
It wasn't the most attractive dish out there, but it was absolutely delicious. Sometimes nothing beats comfort food at the end of a long week!
What's your go-to comfort food?
my comfort food is grilled cheese and tomato with green chili.
ReplyDeleteweird, huh?
YAY! Thanks for posting! I've been looking for good crock pot recipes the past week, and am going to try it.
ReplyDeleteMmmm, this looks so creamy and tasty. Comfort food is so great after a long week, and low-effort comfort food is even better :)
ReplyDeleteI just might have to try this recipe. I've all but given up on slow cooker mac & cheese because I find that it turns out somewhat "gritty." I would love to find a good recipe for this!
ReplyDeleteThat looks and sounds SO good! Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteUsually my go to comfort food is a big moist piece of heavily frosted vanilla cake, but the most comforting dish I crave is my mom's dolmates (grape leaves stuffed with rice). It's a simple Greek dish, but she makes the absolute best dolmathes (I'm not biased at all! ;) )full of love.
ReplyDeleteThat looks really good! I like pesto on pasta for comfort dinner followed by ice cream.
ReplyDeleteHoly Moly that looks good! that is some serious comfort food! I'm guilty of snacking off my kids' mac n cheese dinners often. it's just sooo good;-)
ReplyDeleteOMG! I love Mac N Cheese:) That would be perfect for right after a long run!
ReplyDeleteHappy weekend!
*wiping drool from keyboard*
ReplyDeleteOMG! That looks so yummy. I am going to try it. I love my slow cooker, use it all the time for almost exactly the same reasons you do. I like Chicken Cacciatore in the slow cooker. One of those meals that is always better on day two and three!
ReplyDeleteUh. I think this dish looks absolutely delectable! I experienced mac and cheese for the first time my sophomore year in college... and since then I eat it at least once a week and crave it every day that I don't have it. Drooling over your post!
ReplyDeletetacosandfreecandy.blogspot.com
Wow, that mac & cheese looks really good!! Funny that the very first comment (Lisa's) mentioned grilled cheese since that's what I was going say also. I suppose cheese is a comfort food in general :) I have been fighting a cold for several days and last night did not feel like cooking much, so my first thought was a grilled cheese due to it being quick and easy.
ReplyDelete