Monday, September 20, 2010

Running (Mis)Adventures

On Saturday I woke up early, got dressed in my running gear, ate a couple of pieces of toast, drank a couple of glasses of water, and took a look at my trail map.  My plan was to run 15 miles and to connect one of my shorter routes with one of my longer routes so that I wouldn't have to drive anywhere to get onto one of the trails.  I filled up my CamelBak with G2, stuffed my cell phone, ID, and a ziplock bag of gummy worms (my current preferred form of mid-run extra calories) into its pouch and headed out the door.

The first mile felt good.  The second mile felt great, and I was even keeping a sub-11 pace on the steep hill that I had figured would be the biggest incline challenge on this run.  I turned onto a street that I thought would intersect with the street that I needed to take to get me to near the trail where I planned to run over half of the 15 miles I had planned.  I came to a dead end, so I turned back, thinking I must have just somehow missed the street.  At this point I had run a little over 3 miles.  Then I realized the street I had been on Y'ed off, so I thought maybe that was my mistake.  Maybe I should have taken the left rather than going straight...  I descended down a very steep hill and ran for about another mile, realizing that I wasn't hitting the street I was looking for or any of the streets that I knew would take me to the general area where I wanted to go.  I was frustrated and thinking that even if I did suddenly find my way to the trail I would have to return back up that extremely steep incline about 12 miles into my run.  I wasn't thrilled about that idea, especially because I'd had a tiring week and hadn't been able to get in many mid-week miles. 

After some debate with myself, I decided to just turn back and try again for a long run the next day.  I ran 6.7 miles instead of 15 on Saturday.  When I got home, I looked on Google maps, and it turned out the trail map was slightly misleading.  The street that I was looking for actually ran parallel to the street I had been running on instead of intersecting with it.  It was just really difficult to tell that from the pdf of the trail map I had been looking at. 

I set out yesterday with the plan of doing at least 13 miles and possibly the 15 that had been on the original schedule depending on how I was feeling as the run progressed.  Well, this run wasn't so fantastic either.  My stomach started bothering me around mile 8.  I blame it on the Kashi granola bar that I ate pre-run.  It's not my usual brand and nothing else was particularly different.  Once my stomach had settled, my lower back started seizing up.   I settled for 12 miles and called it a day. 

Sometimes a great long run is just not in the cards.  Hopefully, next Saturday's will go much more smoothly.  I definitely won't be trying that route again.  I ran a gentle 2.5 miles today at a recovery pace, and my back felt fine so that was a relief.

How do you approach an unsuccessful run or training workout?  Do you try to make it up the next day? 

7 comments:

  1. You know how it goes. Some runs are good. Some aren't.

    I just shake it off. I don't try to make it up, just move on to whatever is next on my schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes that happens and yes it's frustrating, but I just think, "what's next?" If I have time (ie the fail was on Saturday) I try for another LR on Sunday and if not I push it to Wedenesday evening and run at night. Maps and tummy got you; weather has been foiling my plans this week. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had a cold all week, which hasn't been too terrible except I've been so tired and the only time I can get extra rest is when I should be running. Consequently, I have not run in 7 DAYS! I feel terribly guilty, but I also feel terrible, period, so there's not much I can do about it.

    Here's to hoping we both get a solid week of training in this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started my marathon training plan two weeks early to allow two weeks of cushion just for this very thing. I had a pathetic attempt at a 13-mile run two weekends ago, but this past weekend I tried again and nailed it. I just couldn't let it get the best of me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I let it go because I never get around to making up for it, too much else to do in the day. I guess I do more sprint work or more reps in the next workout, so in that way I make up for it a little.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh, that sucks. Usually, i just try to let it go and hope the next weekend's long run will be better. I hate when maps fail me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bummer runs do happen. What's important is getting back on it and keeping a positive attitude. Sounds like you have a good outlook and that's the most important thing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.