Sunday, September 26, 2010

Weekly +/- XIV

In the - column this week:

- This week, like last week, have been tremendously busy.  Whenever I think that I might have some "spare" time to make significant progress on my research and writing goals, I suddenly find something comes up in the day-to-day.  This past week I had a number of papers to grade.  Then my in-laws came into town for the weekend - which is a good thing, but definitely further limited my hours of productivity.

- We received about ten inches of rain on Wednesday/Thursday.  Several of the trails that I normally run on are flooded.  I thought I had chosen a flood-free route for my long run this morning.  However, less then 2.5 miles into my run, I discovered I'd need a canoe to continue further down the trail.  When my Garmin beeped that it was about to die a couple of miles after that, I figured that it wasn't meant to be today.  It's frustrating because this will make two weeks in a row in which I didn't conquer my long run. 

- I wore a newish pair of shoes on Friday, and they gave me huge blisters on my heels.  I thought I had worn them enough around the house that they wouldn't give me any problems, but boy was I wrong about that! 

In the + column:

+ A colleague observed one of my classes this week and said that I did an excellent job in the classroom.

+ My in-laws were in town for a couple of days to visit us here.  It's always fun to hang out with them.  We showed them around our little city and then on Saturday we went to the Twin Cities to the Walker Art Center, the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden, and to the Mall of America. 
+ Autumn is here, and it is my favorite season!  I love pumpkins and Halloween and football and the colorful foliage.  I just hope the water subsides from the paths so I can fully enjoy my favorite season for running and biking. 

How was your week?  Have you entered my giveaway yet?

9 comments:

  1. I love autumn too.

    It's funny that you got 10 inches of rain because that's about our annual rainfall. The one day earlier this week it rained was apparently our third wettest day on record. Guess how much rain we got? 1.7 inches. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was such a beautiful day...I am loving the cooler temps! Sometime when you have a weekend and you make your way to the TC we should get together. I love the Walker Art Center...it has been a few years. If you are in Minnesota next year you should do the 10 mile:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Lisa, even some of the highways and our local dog park are closed because of the flooding.

    @Julie, I would love to get together sometime in the TC. And I will definitely keep it in mind for next year if our stay in the upper Midwest gets extended.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about the blisters! That's great news from your colleague, bet that made you feel good!! Maybe, you can send some rain our way, we're in a drought here in Raleigh, NC. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. autumn is the best isn't it? sooo agree;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Finding time to do research and run is the hardest thing never mind teaching. And then there are the faculty meetings and other 'service' items! It's nice to get confirmation from your colleagues that you are doing well, needs to happen more! Have a great week, hope it's less hectic and that you get your run in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey there, thanks for the sweet comment on my blog! :) Looks like you are doing really well in your new home, and I'm sure you had a great time with the in-laws! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ouch sorry about your new shoes blisters are awful....I think it is great how you keep pushing through even if you don't meet your goals exactly as how you have them planned out. You don't just quit. You keep adjusting...Wow rain we are so dry here and in the 100's I am hoping it cools off this week. If I don't get my work out in early it doesnt happen because it is just to hot. ~Good luck this week and I hope you have some Great Runs....:D ~Heather

    ReplyDelete
  9. The furthest I've run in the last two weeks is 6 miles. Oops. And I have a half marathon on October 10th. Double oops. It's okay - I'm getting back on track this week and plan to have many +'s by Friday in the running category!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.