So, as you may recall, I have been training for the San Antonio marathon that will be taking place in just a little over two weeks. You may also remember that after two pretty good months of training in August and most of September, I hit a rough patch with my training this month. I had 140 miles on my training schedule, and I have come nowhere close to logging that kind of mileage. Floods, visiting in-laws, grading midterms, and 60+ hour weeks of working have all taken their toll on my training program. For about a week now I have been considering running the half-marathon instead of the full in San Antonio. I ran a full marathon last year. Training for that one was tough - emotionally, physically, and mentally, but I didn't have nearly as many other obligations then as I do now.
This morning I realized that I can either feel miserable and stressed about running the marathon for the next sixteen days or I can go ahead and admit to myself that right now a full marathon is not in the cards for me right now. So that it what I am doing. When I line up in San Antonio, I am not going to do it for the full. Instead I'm going to run the half.
This was a tough decision, and part of me feels like a failure. I'm still coming to terms with the fact that I cannot always do everything that I want and accomplish everything that I try to. Fundamentally, though, right now I need for running to help me relieve stress not for it to add even more anxiety to my life. So instead of focusing on 26.2 miles, I'm going to try to beat my most recent half-marathon time (2:33:46 officially). And I'm going to have a great time visiting my beautiful sister and her husband in San Antonio.
Sounds like a good decision. And I hope you can ENJOY the half and the rest of the training cycle.
ReplyDelete:-)
I think this is a good decision. No shame in that. I'm eyeing another half in March but think I'm going to take it easy for the next few months. With the wet weather coming I know that if I commit to training before January it will only stress me out, so I'm just going to run for leisure.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the rest of your training. Can't wait to read about how the race goes.
You've made a very good decision--smart and brave. I've been fantasizing about training for a March marathon, but it's beginning to dawn on me that that probably isn't very realistic. But MARATHON it sounds so good, right?:)
ReplyDeleteEnjoy training for your next half--you're going to have a great race!
You're still running a half marathon, which is more than a lot of us (me mostly) can ever do! And you've obviously put a lot of thought into this. I think it comes down to your point about running being a form of stress relief, not another stress.
ReplyDeleteI bet the run in SA would be nice though - my brother lived there for about 10 years and I always loved visiting.
Good for you for recognizing that your training has suffered and thus now is not the time to run a full marathon. I really hope you go and run the half marathon and HAVE FUN!! There is no shame in your decision AT ALL! :o)
ReplyDeletePlan B is not failure. It is successfully reassing your circumstances and taking an alternative route (literally).
ReplyDeleteFailure would be to have no Plan B at all.
Good luck on your upcoming half, you will ROCK IT!
I know that was a tough decision. But it sounds like the right one for your right now. You're smart and brave! I hope you have fun at the half and visiting with your sister!
ReplyDeleteI think you made the best possible decision you could've made. There's no point in damaging your life (in any way- stress, injury, etc) to meet a goal that was yours to set in the first place. I'm impressed that you made such a tough decision!
ReplyDeleteHaving also moved across several states, started a new prof. job, and still trying to figure out how to juggle all the new responsibilities myself, I admire you tackling two half-marathons this fall! I can't wait for this first semester to end, it's exhausting. And for some reason I didn't expect that, I thought grad school would be more exhausting. Boy was I wrong! Give yourself a pat on the shoulder for running the race and enjoy!
ReplyDeletedo the half!! rock it! go speedy fast. i think it sounds like a good call for you girl;-)
ReplyDeleteFailure is NOT doing anything at all. So in my book you are not a failure, your 13.1 miles way ahead of failing! Do the half and kick some ass!
ReplyDeleteSounds like the best decision you could have made! If it's no fun, what's the point?
ReplyDeleteI said the same thing to myself last night as I was taking pills and icing my knee.
Definitely don't beat yourself up over the decision not to do a full marathon!! Like you said, it's best if running RELIEVES your stress, rather than adds to it. Plenty of full marathons will always be around should you want to do more in the future :) Have fun on the trip and relax instead of feeling guilty!
ReplyDeleteIts the smart way to go. No point in going out there and having a bad day or getting injured
ReplyDeleteYou are still running so it is all good! Save the marathon for when you are ready and excited for it:)
ReplyDeleteEnjoy the weekend!
Thank you all so much for your kind comments! You guys are the best!
ReplyDelete