Sunday, October 3, 2010

September In Review

I set some rather lofty goals in September, and I have to admit that I was hit or miss in accomplishing them.

My fitness goals were:
* Run 111 miles
* Continue to do core work 3 times/week
* Bike to campus at least once a week, as the weather allows (yes, I'm a fair weather cyclist due to lack of rain gear)
* Stretch and/or do some yoga after each run
* Eat more fruits and vegetables

I only ran 89 miles.  Part of the lost mileage was due to cutting a long run short due to flooding.  The other major issue with my training was that it was difficult to get some of my mid-week runs in.  I need to cowgirl up this month and consistently hit the pavement on Thursday evenings instead of coming home and sitting on my duff at the end of my teaching week.

I did a good job with all of my other fitness goals.  Sure, there were a couple of weeks where I only did two core workouts and one week when I didn't bike into campus because of weather and scheduling, but I have been crosstraining much more consistently this time around. Last week I biked in twice even though it was ridiculously windy.  I've also been better with stretching and reaching for more fruits and veggies. 


My writing goals were:
* Spend at least five hours a week working on manuscript transcription edits ✔-     Although I hadn't managed to get 5 hours per week in every week in September, I was making good progress on this project in the second part of the month. Then I had to wait to hear from my co-editor and the publisher on a formatting issue, so this project is still in the works.
* Revise and resubmit a journal article for publication - I didn't even get to this goal at all. 
* Write the plan for how I will meet my institution's required criteria ✔
* Update CV, teaching philosophy, job letters, etc. ✔
* Get together an outline for another article for publication or a conference paper abstract. ✔   I am giving a research talk at a forum at the end of this month, so I've started work on this talk, with the idea that I'll get feedback and a workable draft of an article out of the process, but I'm nowhere near done with the talk itself, but I've put together a basic outline.

I did have a couple of unexpected things that I had to turn out very quickly in September, so in the end my writing month wasn't as unproductive as it might seem.  It definitely wasn't as good as it could have been, though.


How was your September?  What goals did you accomplish?  How did your training go this past month? 

6 comments:

  1. All in all, you had a good month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty good job on your goals. Way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any forward progress on goals is good in my book. You did pretty well on your goals and you had a bunch. Good for you! Hope you have a great October!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you had a pretty productive month! I'm fair weather with cycling also--it's just that much colder than running. So hats off for going out there in the wind/cooler temps. Have a great October!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a good, productive month to me!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.