While peeling potatoes isn't my favorite activity in the world, all the other prep work is easy and done in a flash.
3 leeks
2 cloves of garlic
7-10 potatoes
basil - several leaves
3/4tsp rosemary
3/4tsp thyme
2 T olive oil
pepper - to taste
vegetable stock (or organic chicken broth)
water (optional)
half & half (optional)
Chop the leeks and garlic and peel the potatoes and cut them into your preferred size of chunk. In a large pot, combine the leeks, garlic, and olive oil and saute, stirring frequently, until the leeks are fragrant and tender (about 5 minutes). The second time I made the soup, I also added two chopped carrots. Add the basil and other spices and cook for another minute or so. Add the stock and water and the potatoes. Bring to a boil. Once the soup reaches a roaring boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook for about 30-40 minutes. If you want a creamier soup, add cream or half & half and simmer for another 10 minutes. Serve while still hot.
What's your favorite soup to make? What's your favorite soup to eat?
Ooh, this looks so warm and hearty and perfect for winter! I'm making a pot of potato soup tonight too (I just got a food mill for Christmas, so I'm dying to try it out).
ReplyDeleteMy favorite soup to make is pumpkin, and I think my favorites to eat are pumpkin and tortilla. And cream of anything.
I love love love potato leek soup - it's one of my favorites, I usually pair it with a grilled vegan cheese sandwich. I have never actually made it myself though (I always buy the Trader Joes stuff and add a bit of seasoning and a few more potatoes) but I am definitely going to try this!
ReplyDeletexoxo ~ Courtney
http://sartorialsidelines.blogspot.com
That soup looks and sounds delicious! I am not much of a cook, so no favorite soup to make. I do love my husband's broccoli soup and his spicy black bean soup. Delicious!!
ReplyDeleteOh yum! I have been craving pototo soup lately. I will have to make this soon.
ReplyDeleteI am a huge fan of soups. Soup is such a comfort food for me and I love how it's great as leftovers. It's tough to pick a favorite - I frequently made taco soup, chili, and vegetable soup. Mmmm.
That looks SO good. I'm always on the hunt for new soups, so thank you! One of my favorites is a chicken corn chowder.
ReplyDelete