Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Workout Wednesday 12/15

Considering that I gave two sets of final exams since last Wednesday and graded three sets of final exams and submitted grades, this week was pretty good workout wise.

Wednesday: off

Thursday: off

Friday: 4 mile easy run
core work: 100 crunches, 12 lunges, 20 pushups

Saturday: 2.25 mile mini-fartlek run
15 minutes yoga

Sunday: 4 mile tempo run
15 minutes yoga

Monday: off

Tuesday: 5 mile easy run

Since I've been running on the treadmill here lately (thank you ice and snow), I haven't been keeping track of my splits.  But I am using the treadmill to force myself to work on getting a bit faster during this downtime between training cycles.  I'd like to be running my long runs about 60-90 seconds faster going into the spring.  I'd also like to shave a few minutes off my current 5k time, which is going to mean actually pressing myself to run faster on training runs and to push through the discomfort that accompanies speedwork.  I may never be fast by most people's standards, but I will run faster in 2011.

How are you doing workout wise?  Is this month full of holiday parties and short days throwing a wrench in your training?

6 comments:

  1. My work outs have been sporadic lately.. . I have had a lot of social plans lately so it's tough to fit running in. I also have been running on the treadmill aka the dreadmill since I am not hard core enough to run outside in these temps!

    I will start trainign for my next race in late January so I think it will help to be in training again. Until then, I am trying to run 10-15 miles/week...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think treadmill times don't translate well to real times, so I always do the treadmill for time.

    Love your mojo for 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The short days are killing me! I had hoped to get out today, but I had to wait for an important email--and by the time that came, the sun was setting and it was getting overcast, and it was only 3:30. It's too slippery to go out except at midday. Not only are the paths and sidewalks slippery, but the roads are, too, and I'm worried about cars sliding off the road (saw one just this morning).

    I love running outside through the entire winter, though. I'm a lot faster once the nice weather comes in spring. And the brisk air (though sometimes too brisk) is invigorating. My limit is -10F, though. I won't run outside if it's colder than that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the short days are definitely throwing a wrench in the works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. girrrl, nice job. the fact that you did any of that w/finals, papers/holiday gluttony mahem is exceptional;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you've been doing great on your workouts. The holidays have thrown me into a little bit of a frenzy. I have worked out, but only about 3 (maybe 4) days a week. I'm trying not to be too hard on myself. At least I'm doing something.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.