Sunday, January 2, 2011

Weekly +/- 2.1

In the - column this week:

- M. had a bad cold that hit him on Christmas night.  He was pretty sniffly and miserable all week with a sore throat, cough, and congestion.  I have my fingers crossed that I don't get it because I have a conference to go to later in the week.

- I am behind on my work.  I've only managed to write four lectures so far, read a couple of books, and get about half way through the transcription project that is currently dominating my research agenda.  I've been putting in full eight hour days of work since the day after Christmas, but this project is more labor-intensive than I anticipated.  So much for having a winter break....

- We opened a bottle of wine on NYE and it had gone bad.  We weren't completely sure and thought it might just be a smelly cork, so I tasted it.  Vile.  Fortunately, we had another bottle.

In the + column this week:

+ I have been doing a lot more yoga.  I've been embracing the fact that a 15-20 minute practice is better than no practice and ending many of my shorter runs with a brief physical asana and meditation.

+ I picked my two spring half-marathons and registered for them.  I'll be running the Earth Day Half in Gambier, OH on April 17th and the Madison Half on May 29th.  If you're thinking of running either of those, let me know!

+ I had a relaxing NYE spent cooking, sipping wine and cava, and hanging with my hubs.  Bailey even let me sleep in until 9am on New Year's Day.  I got in my first run of 2011 and spent the day doing some lecture-writing with bowl games on in the background.
Puppy Dog or Alien?
+ My Sooners won the Fiesta Bowl!  UConn played hard and earned my respect with their scrappy style, but OU had a great game offensively and defensively.

How was your week?  Did you have a good first day of 2011?  Have you run yet this year?

3 comments:

  1. Go OU! I like this blog! I also like the FA blog, and wanted to tell you I absolutely to die-for love the outfit from Dec 31st, but I couldn't find the comment link. Am I losing it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a history professor???!!! You are my hero, seriously. I did my BA in European history and am now working on my MA in History (focus on WWII - Mussolini and Italy mostly). I would dream of being a history prof but for the time being I'm happy just studying and waiting for my husbands return home. Good luck with all your 2011 goals :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm starting to do more yoga too. Will be posting about that soon...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.