Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Coming out of Hibernation

I've been in a bit of a funk the past couple of months.  I was the recipient of some bad news on the career front in February and March and the cold, dark days of winter and early spring have not helped me to feel peppy.  I've fallen back into some old habits - staying up too late, hitting the snooze button, complaining more than my fair share, and even occasionally snarling at my spouse.
The past couple of days, as the weather has finally started to improve a bit more, I have started to feel some of the funk lifting.  Although I'm tired from a long academic year, I feel a bit peppier.  I feel like I'm starting to come out of a winter hibernation or stasis.

I'm looking forward to my runs again.  I took the plastic off the windows and let in light and fresh air.  I've been craving fresh fruits and veggies and especially salads.  Now I just need to stop hitting that snooze button and my weeks of hibernation can finally come to an end.

12 comments:

  1. I totally understand. I'm so bad with the snooze button. It's especially hard when it doesn't matter what time I get into lab (either way my experiments will likely fail.) I'm also in a job-funk. I'm waiting to hear back from a school and normally I would assume that since I didn't hear yet, I didn't get it. But the school keeps updating me on the decision process and where it is, giving me a tiny glimmer of hope. I'm definitely ready to leave my lab, but fear I will likely be hanging around a while longer.

    The one thing getting me out of the funk is wedding planning. It's super fun just looking at things...especially dresses :-)

    I hope with spring and warmer weather you can continue to come out of hibernation!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally hear you on the whole feeling in a funk thing. I'm slowly getting out of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh good! Yah for kicking the blahs. I actually have been feeling pretty similar to what you described. Since i got back from Paris, I have had a horrible case of the blahs... I can't seem to kick them, but this spring weather has been helping me, too! Right now, I have my patio door open for the first time since October and it makes me incredibly happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you're feeling better! The winter blues have had me in their grips too. Just a few days ago my facebook status was something along the lines of being one cold, dreary day away from needing a rx for Prozac. Now it seems we've jumped straight from winter to summer...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spring is always a great time to feel rejuvenated! Here's to end of hibernation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This winter seemed neverending, so I can definitely relate to the funk. But the days are getting longer and warmer, so spring is on its way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The academic job hunt can be brutal, I have felt it's wrath this year myself, now stuck in non-tenure track purgatory for another year. Actually, I just realized I assumed your bad news was job market-related, but I could be totally wrong.

    Hope you feel more spirited soon, the warmer weather and sunshine usually does the trick for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The job funk is stupid and hard to shake. Hang in there!

    Enjoy the wedding planning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This picture made me laugh really hard.

    I hear you on the funk. I admire how you've been able to keep up with your training through it!

    Keep an eye out for the lilies-of-the-valley that I think will appear on the trail soon...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hang in there! It's a good thing the sunshine and warmer temps are on their way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hee hee! The picture is from this really crazy lodge-like hotel that we stayed at for a wedding in St. Louis a couple of years ago.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.