Sunday, April 3, 2011

April Goals

March wasn't the best of months for accomplishing my goals, but that's not going to stop me from setting goals in April.  I know that April is going to be a busy month: my university is in the last few weeks of the spring semester, I have a couple of convocations to attend, I'm running a half-marathon mid-month, and I have two professional reports due.
Fitness/Health Goals
- M. and I have made a pact to eat at least one vegetable with dinner every night.  Typically we are good about this, but sometimes we fall into bad habits.  Hopefully this will prevent us from eating like eleven year olds once or twice a week. Report on April 15th on how this is going.
- Concentrate on distance this month.  With my back feeling mostly better but still a little twingy, I've decided to take the emphasis off of trying to get faster for a month and focus on running the distances on my training schedule.  This will put me at just over 100 miles in April.  I'll report mid-month where I'm at on my mileage goal.
- Keep track of everything that I eat in my journal.  Additionally, make notes to see how particular foods seem to impact how I feel during runs and my general feelings of heath and mood. Report mid-month on progress.

Writing Goals
-Write reports.  Maybe it's not fair to put something that has to be done on my list of goals, but, since these reports are going to take up a good amount of time, I'm doing it.  I'm going to try to finish both of these by the middle of the month.
- Look into starting or joining an academic writing group for the summer.  Even a virtual word count club would be helpful in pressuring me to write a couple hundred words on something closer to a daily basis.  I'll make sure to send out some inquiries by April 15th.
- Book Proposal.  Write an outline of the proposal and get a start on this.  April has 30 days in it, so write 3000 words in the month of April to get this book proposal started.  Report mid-month on my word count progress.
- Clean and reorganize my campus office and writing desk.  I also plan to at least partially reclaim my actual desk from spouse and/or work out a rotating schedule for days of use.  I will take a picture of all three mid-month to make a note of progress and maintenance of having spaces in which I can actually do work.
- Get materials necessary to revise and resubmit an article.  Get organized for this task.  Report mid-month on progress.

What are your goals for the month of April?  Is spring giving you new motivation?  Any April races?

11 comments:

  1. Secretly, I am known to eat dinner without vegetables. They generally include pretzels, cheese, almonds and some chocolate. And chocolate is kind of a vegetable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck with your goals. i'm just trying to get out and move my body this month. walked the dogs again this morning - 3 days in a row. woot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We try to eat vegetables (at least 1) with dinner too. Sometimes it's definitely hard. I find frozen vegetables (especially the ones in the microwavable steam bags) make it a lot easier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so good about setting goals, which I'm sure helps you be so productive! What is your book about, btw?

    Great approach to getting the miles in also. Your running will thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm turning my dissertation (which was about public theater and its connections to public health in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries in Spain and Mexico) into a historical monograph.

    I hope my back thanks me too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm pretty sure that frozen veggies are going to factor in occasionally!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's why they say chocolate with raspberry is a salad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the goals, and good luck with them :) I need to sit down and make goals, though right now I think it would be one thing: study :)

    I have a half marathon next week, which I'm totally not prepared for, but I'm looking forward to it anyways, as its in my town, so I can wake up later than normal :) The weather here is giving me spring motivation to get back on track with fitness. Love the sun :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done for deciding to eat more vegetables! My entire diet is vegetable-based, heehee. I love veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm thinking spring will give me motivation to run farther since I won't be chained to the treadmill! I like your veggie goal!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a good group of goals! Good luck on the mileage! I kind of miss the days of triple digit mileage... maybe I will get back there this summer.

    Right now, my body is tired and beat up, so I am going to take it easy in April. My goal is to pass this finance test that I will take next Wednesday. Other than that, I want to keep trying to cook a meal once a week, which sounds pretty easy, but I am really bad about resorting to eating things like baked potatoes 5+ days a week. Which isn't awful, but I could improve on the eating front!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.