Four years ago today, I set off on a journey that changed me. I took a train from Madrid to Leon and then a bus from there to Astorga. I spent the next ten days walking across the north of Spain to Santiago de Compostela, following a route that pilgrims have followed since the Middle Ages. It was walking about 30 km a day for so many days straight that gave me the confidence to take more chances, to have more adventures, to train for and run my first marathon. I met a number of incredible people from all over the world (New Zealand, Mexico, the Netherlands, France, Australia, the U.S., Germany, and Japan just to name a few) on the Camino. The camaraderie and fellowship on the
Camino de Santiago was one of the most amazing things that I have ever experienced.
 |
| Leon Cathedral |
 |
| Ye Olde Crone |
 |
| The Church in O Cebreiro |
 |
| 33K from Santiago |
I can't get back to Spain this weekend to do the Camino again, but I will commemorate it with a trip to Madison and a half-marathon. What are you up to this weekend? I hope you have a weekend full of fun and adventures! As pilgrims say on the path: buen camino!
That sounds so cool! I'm headed to Wisconsin today too, though just for a baseball game, not so much to exercise. Good luck with your half this weekend!
ReplyDeleteHi Raquelita:
ReplyDeleteMay I give you a very small "present" for you to remember Galicia and your Camino? It's an special gift from the goverment of Galicia to celebrate the 800 anniversary of the Cathedral's consecration. Libro de Pedra: http://www.turgalicia.es/librodepedra/Enjoy it.
Love from Galicia.
Anna García
Community Manager of Turgalicia
What an awesome experience! I have never heard of the Camino, but it sounds like something I woul ddefinitely do.
ReplyDeleteGood luck in Madison this weekend!! I am hunkering down and studying... and trying to kick this stupid cold I have acquired. :(
Wow, I've never been to Spain, but it is definitely on my list! Good luck with you half!
ReplyDeleteOh, you just gave me something to drop onto my bucket list! Sounds like a truly amazing journey.
ReplyDelete