Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Looking Back, Looking Forward

A little less than a year ago, I was starting to get back into running consistently and getting back to logging more than just a few miles a week.  Last June I defended my dissertation and a week or so after that I tagged along with my husband to a conference in Madison, Wisconsin.  I got up early one morning to run along the lake.  I was just starting to metaphorically stretch my legs again after several months of living like a hermit.  I was running while on the road.  Madison was where something started for me, where I started to feel like a runner again.

In a couple of days I will go back to Madison to run a half-marathon.  Somehow even more than my fall races or my half-marathon last month in Ohio this race has taken on symbolic meaning for me.  It represents a full cycle, a revolution.  In the past year I have found my way back to running, to being a runner, one step and one training run at a time.  I have found a way to balance running with teaching and research.  It's not always perfect, but I am healthier and happier than I was a year ago.  I may not be fast, but I can endure.

My goals for this race:
A) Enjoy the experience - finish with a smile on my face and beside my friend
B) Finish in under 2:20

Are any of you running the Madison Marathon or Half-Marathon this weekend?  Do you have any other races on your radar?  Have you ever attached symbolic importance to a race for something other than redemption?

10 comments:

  1. Love the running memories! My 1st race was such an important moment for me and running that it's one race that set in stone on my calendar - no matter what else might be going on that day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ElliewoodscarlettMay 25, 2011 at 3:44 PM

    A great post! I didn't get run my "first half" for the second time this May and it really bums me out. I'm predicting that you'll have a great race this wkend--your training has been awesome lately. Suerte y un abrazo bien fuerte.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have fun this weekend, great goals for the race!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your race!  I see you ran a lot of Columbus races.  Did you get your PhD here?

    ReplyDelete
  5. sartorialsidelinesMay 26, 2011 at 3:39 PM

    Good luck! You set some wonderful goals for yourself...

    xoxo ~ Courtneyhttp://sartorialsidelines.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. amanda@runninghoodMay 26, 2011 at 5:14 PM

    These goals are so wonderful!  The best kind of goals really...doing it for the right reasons!  :)  

    ReplyDelete
  7. EnduranceisntonlyphysicalMay 26, 2011 at 5:19 PM

    good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The one-year mark of me becoming a swimmer (again) is approaching in July, nice to hear you reflect on your progress in running over the last year.  Embrace being a runner!!!  It's hard to balance physical activity with work, but this year I have met so many happy professors at every stage of their career that are involved in some kind of sport.  The ones that appear less happy don't seem to be involved in a sport, or other non-academic activity.  And I think it's a causal relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Tina!  It can be challenging to find the balance, but it is so worth it for the stress relief.  My undergrad advisor and one of my PhD committee members are both runners, and they are both happy and incredibly productive scholars and good teachers.  It can be done!  

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.