Monday, May 2, 2011

May Goals

I can't believe that 2011 is already a third of the way over!  It is May, and the regular academic year is drawing to a close.  Proctoring finals, a committee meeting, and grading a shit-ton of exams are the only tasks that stand between me and three months of unfunded time to work on my research and writing.  (I'm not teaching any summer classes.  The money would have been nice, but the time is even more valuable to me at this point in my career.)  I am going to take a few days off after I've submitted grades to rest and recharge.  I'm hoping for nice weather so I can read magazines and fluffy books on my deck with lemonade and tasty pale ales.  I do still have some goals for May, though, like keeping flowers or sangria in this lovely pitcher at all times.
Fitness/Health Goals:
- Journal everything I eat, every day for the whole month.  Keeping a food journal was one of my 2011 goals, and I've been sporadic.  This month, I'm going to form a habit, though, by maintaining my journal every day for all 31 days of May.
- Run 100+ miles.  I'm training for a June marathon and running a half-marathon this month, and I should have no excuse for not getting in my mid-week miles, especially after the first week of the month.
- Practice yoga at least twice a week.  Now that my back seems to have returned to normal, sun salutations and modified chaturangas need to be back in.  I want to make sure I'm keeping some flexibility and joint suppleness as I continue training for my second marathon.

Writing/Professional Goals:
- Revise and resubmit an article.  This has been on my list of goals for several months now.  It is time to get this one crossed off the never-ending to-do list!
- Outline and get a start on my book proposal.  This was one of my April goals, and I didn't even touch this.  I've been thinking a lot about this project here and there over the past couple of months.  After almost a year a way, I think I'm ready to look at my dissertation again and start turning it into a book manuscript.
- Work out a schedule for sharing the regular desk, but spend more time using my writing desk (more to follow on this).  Cleaning and organizing our office probably goes along with this.
- Spend 3 hours each week during the second half of April doing some new research and reading for a conference paper/article project.

What are your goals for May?  Is the end of another academic year going to change the pace of your summer months?

13 comments:

  1. Those are some great goals. I haven't made any May goals yet... I need to get on that. I would love to run 150mi this month and might be able to given I ran a marathon yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great goals, R! I need to write up my May goals list, too :)

    ♥ Leia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exciting! I can't wait to join you on the end of the semester mini-break. Enjoy your few days off and good luck getting the R&R out! You also inspire me to run more.
    My goals would be to run, finish up a very short article, and stay sane with the last 3 weeks left.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to start thinking about my goals too. I guess the main goal for me is to start running and get my fitness back to where it was last year. How is that for a start?:) You have some great goals and always seem to be so damn organized! Just a little jealous:) Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. amanda@runninghoodMay 2, 2011 at 5:51 PM

    Great goals. I love your writing goals too. What is your dissertation on?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with your goals - esp the 100+ miles one! It's a great feeling to accomplish that!

    My goals for May are to stick to the study plan for my upcoming exam in June and to run more miles than i did this month. So maybe 60?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your goals sound wonderfully doable and yet challenging! I need to up my mileage and hope to hit a 100 mile month this month as well. Good luck to us both!

    ReplyDelete
  8. EnduranceisntonlyphysicalMay 2, 2011 at 7:27 PM

    good luck with your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  9. great goals for the month! good luck! u will kick some butt!

    u mentioned that u want to journal everything you eat.....i started doing that too. i started 2 weeks ago and im finding that it helps me when i want to grab that second or third handfull of chips. i started by writting it out by hand, but someone suggested Spark People.com to me and i started using it and i really like it. i feel like its more legit when its on the net. hahhaha

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Amanda! The short answer to your question is that it's about the development of public theater in Spain in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Aneta! I actually use Weight Watchers online, although I'm less concerned about points values than trying to learn some semblance of portion control and awareness.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha! I never feel organized, though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mini-break, mini-break! I wish I were already on it! Hopefully, I can get there by Monday or Tuesday. Good luck with the short article, Rad! If you find the key to staying sane during the final stretch let me know.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.