Saturday, April 30, 2011

April in Review

Although I didn't accomplish all of my April goals, this past month has been a relative success in getting things done.
I did eventually pass this girl, but I let her be my rabbit for a couple of miles.  

My Fitness and Health goals were to:
-Eat at least one vegetable with dinner every night - We did it!  M. and I managed to keep our pact for the entire month, even if a couple of nights were pretty unhealthy with a side of vegetables.
-Run 100 miles in April - Nope.  I missed several mid-week runs due to long days and scheduling conflicts.  I feel alright about my mileage, though, as I've been getting in my long runs and usually two other runs each week.  I logged 78 miles this past month.  After a month of taking it easy in terms of pace because of my back, I was also finally able to reintegrate some speed work this past week.
-Keep track of everything I eat in my journal and note how particularly foods make me feel - I journaled about half the time, but my note-taking effort was an utter failure.  I think I did this for two days.  Try, try again.

My Writing Goals were to:
- Write reports - Done and done!
- Look into starting or joining an academic writing group for the summer - Check.  I have created a sort of virtual word count club with some colleagues from my grad school days for the summer.  I've also made plans to get together one afternoon a week during the summer months and work at a local coffee shop with a friend and colleague here.
- Outline and get started on my book proposal - Sadly, I did not get to this at all.
- Clean and reorganize my campus office and writing desk - I accomplished this.  I cleaned and organized my campus office early on in the month and did a pretty good job of keeping it in an organized state.  I finally cleaned my writing desk yesterday.  It only took all month, but it's done.  Now I'm in the process of rigging my writing desk so I can work there standing.
- Get materials for revising and resubmitting a journal article.  I have started this one, but not quite finished it.  I've requested a number of sources that I need, but I still have to track some down and get organized.

I got a lot of things done in April that aren't listed here.  I visited friends in Ohio.  I ran a half-marathon.  I met with my co-editor to talk about some of the final details regarding a publication project that is forthcoming.  I graded lots of papers.  I wrote lots of lectures.  I experimented some with my new tripod and remote.  I started planning a trip to Boston, Toronto, and Montreal.  I started breaking in new running shoes.  I tried some new recipes and microbrews.  

How was your April?  Did you run any races?  Travel?  Try new recipes?  Accomplish a goal in your professional life?  I wanna hear from you!

10 comments:

  1. To me it sounds like you had a great month!

    Looking back I'm not very pleased with how April went and look forward to May which should be a much better month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good month! Congrats on the half-marathon (and the daily veggies!). I'm running a 5K on May 21st that I need to get my butt in gear for. I've been more of an elliptical/walking on an incline/30 Day Shred/kinect games workout lady for awhile, so getting back to running multiple miles consistently has been a little more challenging than I thought. Looking forward to it, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job with your goals :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had a busy, productive month! And I love planning trips--are your for this summer?

    Good job on the veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! Yes, this summer! We're going to stay with friends in Boston and family in Toronto so we're still trying to coordinate schedules.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is it strange that I would rather run a half-marathon than do 30 Day Shred?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope that May is a great month for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for the comment on my blog. I love the attitude. Yes, most of us missed some of our goals, but the important thing is for us to keep trying. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey not bad at all on the goals! You pretty much reached all of them, or at least kicked ass trying! ^_^ 78 miles in a month, WOWZA!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.